[Solved] [Sort of...] Still possible to do UEFI install ?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Stuarte

[Solved] [Sort of...] Still possible to do UEFI install ?

#1 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

I am currently using Debian 12.1 Bookworm on a laptop where the InsydeH20 Setup Utility is set to use the machine's UEFI in its CSM/legacy BIOS mode. Currently I cannot make changes to the Setup Utility as the last time I was in there I made the mistake of disabling USB legacy emulation. This means that neither the laptop keyboard nor a USB external keyboard are recognised during Setup Utility and Grub boot up. However, the USB external keyboard is recognised and works once Debian reaches the login screen and the desktop.

I set things up this way as I am more familiar with setting up an hdd to use msdos partitions. I am now thinking of doing a complete re-install of Debian but this time using UEFI. Given that the Setup Utility is(!) set to CSM/legacy BIOS mode and cannot at the moment be changed for the reason given above, would it be possible to do a UEFI-based install ? Would doing so once again give access to the Setup Utility enabling changes to be made to the settings therein ? In other words, would doing a UEFI-based install cause the laptop keyboard to once again be recognised during Setup Utility and Grub boot up ?

Stuart
Last edited by Stuarte on 2023-10-30 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

pbear

Re: [Installation] Still possible to do UEFI install ?

#2 Post by pbear »

There's nothing magical about a UEFI installation. It's simply a matter of which boot loader gets installed. And it's possible to install both the BIOS and UEFI boot loaders (I do this as a matter of routine with full install USB drives). Installing the UEFI boot loader isn't going to solve your firmware problem (which I will confess I don't fully understand).

Have you looked into reflashing the firmware? Isn't there an option somewhere to restore factory defaults? Something of that sort is how you solve this problem, IMHO.

mrmazda

#3 Post by mrmazda »

Use your BBS menu key to boot the installation media and you should find your USB installation media listed twice, once as a UEFI device, the other as not. Choose the UEFI selection and you'll get a UEFI installation. The BBS menu key depends on who made the BIOS. This informal list is what I go by:
  • Acer F12 or ESC or F9
  • ASRock F11
  • Asus F8
  • Biostar F9
  • Dell F12
  • eCS F12 or F10
  • eMachines F10
  • EVGA F7
  • Gateway F12 or F10
  • Gigabyte F12
  • HP F9 or ESC or ESC,F9
  • Intel F10
  • Lenovo F12 or F8 or F10
  • MSI F11
  • Toshiba F12

Stuarte

#4 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

@pbear: The problem is straight forward. Whilst "in" the BIOS, neither the laptop keyboard nor the usb external keyboard are recognised by the BIOS. I am therefore unable to make changes within the BIOS. I have no facilities for re-flashing a BIOS. Yes there is an option in the BIOS to restore factory defaults. However, as neither keyboard is recognised whilst in the BIOS, I am thereby prevented from making changes to settings within the BIOS.

@mrmazda: I have never heard the term "BBS key". What exactly is that ? Is it the F2 key that must be held down whilst powering on the system that presents the BIOS (actually the InsydeH20 Setup Utility) screen(s) ? If so then for the reason given above I cannot make changes to settings on those screens. I suspect that the usb subsystem is not receiving power during BIOS boot up. Certainly my cheapo, light up, usb mouse is not lit up during BIOS boot up although both the usb external keyboard and the usb mouse do work once the system reaches the login screen and the desktop.

Stuart

pbear

#5 Post by pbear »

Alas, I think you're out of luck. Perhaps a professional computer repair person knows a trick I do not. That's what I would try next. Or buy a new computer.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

Maybe you could reset UEFI settings by removing the CMOS battery for a short time. Maybe.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Stuarte

#7 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

@pbear: Thank you for your reply. Sadly, both of your logical suggestions are currently beyond my means. Still, I do appreciate your suggestions.

@sunrat: Thank you for your reply. I am coming to believe that your suggestion is probably my only way forward. I am, though, worried that resetting the cmos may/will cause data loss on the hdd.

Thank you both,

Stuart

mrmazda

#8 Post by mrmazda »

Stuarte wrote: 2023-10-18 11:59I am, though, worried that resetting the cmos may/will cause data loss on the hdd.
Nothing you do in CMOS changes anything on any attached storage device. CMOS is a chip on the motherboard. You may be able to make a storage device temporarily inaccessible via a CMOS change, but that shouldn't result from a reset, only from your own affirmative action while in BIOS setup.

BBS means BIOS Boot Service/Selector, a key struck during POST so the BIOS can offer a selection of devices from which to boot. I don't think I've ever run across a BIOS that uses F2 for BBS, only those keys in my previous list.

Stuarte

#9 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

@sunrat:
Maybe you could reset UEFI settings by removing the CMOS battery for a short time. Maybe.
I tried this. The only difference it made was to reset the date/time. I still cannot use either keyboard whilst in the "BIOS".

Would it make sense to do complete O.S. EFI-based re-install given that the "BIOS" (i.e the InsydeH20 Setup Utility) is defacto "locked" into the CSM (legacy BIOS) mode ?

Stuarte

#10 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

WRT getting into the BIOS (i.e. InsydeH20 Setup Utility), I seem to have solved this. At the end of last week I was "playing around" with old CD-based versions of Parted Magic and Puppy Linux v4.2 (in live mode, running entirely from RAM). Somehow(?!!), during this, the USB Legacy Emulation setting in the BIOS was re-enabled. So, I am now able to enter the BIOS at will. I suppose the setting was re-enabled automagically. :D Sorry.

Stuart