Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What Desktop environment do you use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What Desktop environment do you use?

Gnome
21%
KDE Plasma
19%
Xfce
22%
MATE
9%
LXDE
2%
LXQt
4%
Cinnamon
9%
Other
1%
No DE, just WM
9%
CLI only
4%

Total votes: 138

Chaussettes

Re: What Desktop environment do you use?

#61 Post by Chaussettes »

Xfce for my desktop for no other real reason than it's always been good to me. There was a point in time where I had a dual core cpu with no graphics card in a machine and Xfce allowed me to use that rustbucket with no issues whatsoever and still feel snappy. Even did some light gaming on it with alpha/beta minecraft thanks to the extra overhead Xfce allowed me to use. Also genuinely a fan of the default layout even though I'm sure like 95% of people change it
Creating things on deviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/chaussettes99

Augie77

#62 Post by Augie77 »

Xfce for me. It is simple and effective for my needs. The more fancier DE are nice with all the neat icons, etc. but I simply do not need any of that. I have noticed that on a different distro that people who used Cinnamon seem to have more issues with devices, gpu, updates, and upgrades. Of course, that may also be due to more people using Cinnamon than Xfce.

juribel

#63 Post by juribel »

Xfce, what else. I don't need fancy stuff and I don't like surprises. I need a computer that just works, and that's Debian with Xfce.

unix_joe

#64 Post by unix_joe »

I like mostly KDE apps with sway and the waybar.

I might switch waybar out for the LXQt panel.

Martek

#65 Post by Martek »

KDE. I am not a fan of vanilla Gnome. I like the Gnome setup in Zorin 17.1 Core but that uses a lot of gnome extensions and I couldn't be bothered to work out which ones it was using and then set them all up manually myself. KDE gives the kind of UI I am looking for straight from the install so it was an easy choice for me.

Jules451

#66 Post by Jules451 »

I'm pleased to see how many Xfce users there are out there. I've first begun using Linux about 7-8 years ago and most of that time has been spent on Xfce. It's lightweight, functional and quite pleasant to the eye when customized a little bit. I've tried out other DEs as well, but I'm always drawn back to Xfce's simplicity, which might have something to do with how I've spent long years using older versions of Windows.

KDE is quite nice too, however, and definitely the DE I'd recommend to new users coming from the Windows/MacOS world who are used to fancier visuals.