Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Rules Forcing Posts to Be Reviewed

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
carlarogers

Rules Forcing Posts to Be Reviewed

#1 Post by carlarogers »

I've search and looked around, but no luck finding an answer.

I understand that posts from new members have to be read, to look for spam and other trash material that ruins the forum if not blocked..

I am new here. I have posted about 5 times, including 2 threads I started. Every time I post, I get a message saying my post will not be visible until someone approves it.

In my experience running forums. Only one or two posts are enough to see from new members to see if they are supporting the forum or posting trash.

Is there a mimum number of posts per new member that been to be reviewed before the posting delay can be removed?

How frequently do you discover an imposter member after 2 or 3 posts that are ok with none that are not?
Last edited by carlarogers on 2023-11-05 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rules Forcing Posts to Be Reviwed

#2 Post by sunrat »

New members' first 5 posts need to be approved by moderator. We were getting a lot of spam from new members before implementing this.
Your post count shows 6 now so welcome! :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

carlarogers

#3 Post by carlarogers »

Thank you for the information and the welcome.

rotero

Re: Rules Forcing Posts to Be Reviewed

#4 Post by rotero »

I'm new to the forum and I was also looking for this information. Thanks for explaining. Before I found this thread, I skimmed through some of the sticky threads and didn't find the answer. Maybe this info should be copied into the relevant sticky thread.

pbear

#5 Post by pbear »

How about adding it to the activation email notice?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-30 03:42 How about adding it to the activation email notice?
Probably won't get read. I suspect, most only look for a link to activate not reading the actual email.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-30 03:42 How about adding it to the activation email notice?
I think the email sent is a generic phpBB one. Just looked at admin settings and couldn't find a way to customise it. Judging from the tiny amount of queries we've had about this feature, it's not a big issue.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pbear

#8 Post by pbear »

sunrat wrote: 2024-04-30 10:49 Judging from the tiny amount of queries we've had ...
Not a good indicator. I almost said 'never mind' over this issue. Never occurred to me to submit a complaint.
Someone who has just registered generally will have little investment in the Forum or even Debian itself.

my2we9dy

#9 Post by my2we9dy »

sunrat wrote: 2023-11-05 07:33 New members' first 5 posts need to be approved by moderator. We were getting a lot of spam from new members before implementing this.
Your post count shows 6 now so welcome! :wink:
Good to know. Even I am a new member and realized my posts don't need approval any more. Yay for me! Also one of my posts made it to the "Best Threads of the Week" so another yay! Glad to be here.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#10 Post by fabien »

my2we9dy wrote: 2024-04-30 16:32 Also one of my posts made it to the "Best Threads of the Week" so another yay! Glad to be here.
This one rather :D
Welcome!
cds60601 wrote: 2024-04-30 10:18 Probably won't get read.
Woe to whom doth not read :mrgreen:
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

Enigma83

#11 Post by Enigma83 »

fabien wrote: 2024-04-30 20:17
my2we9dy wrote: 2024-04-30 16:32 Also one of my posts made it to the "Best Threads of the Week" so another yay! Glad to be here.
This one rather :D
Welcome!
cds60601 wrote: 2024-04-30 10:18 Probably won't get read.
Woe to whom doth not read :mrgreen:
Unrelated, but let's say you have to review an important legal or financial document. Or a TOS/EULA for something you use. And it happens to be many pages long. Honestly, do you read every word? Or just skim it? If you're like the average person, then it's probably the latter, or worse, not reading at all. I think very few people would bother to read everything. People by their nature are generally lazy and will take the path of least resistance when it's opportune.