Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Debian Squeeze on Netgear Stora / Marvell board

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
msh493

Install Debian Squeeze on Netgear Stora / Marvell board

#1 Post by msh493 »

Hi, I'm trying to resurrect an old NAS drive, a Netgear MS2110, based on the instructions at https://www.cablecat.dk/sites/openstora ... Stora.html

Using an Ubuntu terminal and an FTDI to serial connection I have accessed the Marvell U-Boot interface and can go all the way to starting a Debian shell that tries to download and install a Squeeze version (ver 6) of Debian from available mirrors. But it does not find that version and any other version it finds doesn't go past the selection either.

The URL above has a .DEB file, but I have no idea how to install it. I have setup an Apache web server and placed the files in a directory called "debian" in the root directory and have changed the files to make them world readable. I have put the internal url of that server into the debian installer but it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to basically boot the Marvell board with Debian or Ubuntu, put back a couple of 1TB disks and reuse it as a NAS, DLNA and hopefully a Samba central authentication mechanism.

lewulff
LinkedIN: www.linkedin.com/in/

Re: Install Debian Squeeze on Netgear Stora / Marvell board

#2 Post by lewulff »

If I read the reference correctly, you are using a process from 2012. It looks like you are also pulling packages form dropbox instead of an official repository. Not much I can offer in the way of help.

But to answer your question about .deb files, those are packages. At low levels they can be installed with dpkg ( see https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/dp ... .1.en.html ). At higher levels programs like apt or aptitude are used to install .deb packages.