Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help with printing borderless on Brother-MFC-J5340DW

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mabra

Need help with printing borderless on Brother-MFC-J5340DW

#1 Post by mabra »

Hello!
I got this printer new and was able to install the brother drivers.
It is an multi-functional device and I am interested only in printing and scanning - both works.
But I need to print borderless for illustrations, the main usage for me (I try to prevent printing
usually, except for some notes).
First, I dont came to the "idea" to select "DINA4.borderless as "paper" (really a messy idea, I think),
but anyway, it changes nothing. Setting the borders to zero (all sides) in the printing dialog
(this refers to Okular here, tab PDF options) and changing between "fit to printable area", "fit to full page"
and "none, print original size" does not change anything. I am even completely unsure, why this is an
"PDF option", but this may be for Okular only.

For testing, I created a document with a 10mm thick border on all sides (to make it measurable)
with Inkscape, saved as PDF, with Scribus printed directly.
Both printouts left a white border on each side of about 3mm.

A little difference between these two attempts:
In Okular the border-site of the printable border(!) is about 9.X (may be 9.3),
probably a scaling problem (downscaling to printable area) and the inner area is too small - same reason.
There should not be any scaling, so the printer setting are ether not set to it, or measured back wrong.
In Inkscape the printed borders are too small, cutted near the paper-border, the inner area is of exact width!
The right border is greater, 4mm.

And dont ask: The printer has that borderless feature.

I have no clue how the printing architecture really works and can even not save "inch" to "millimters" in setting,
I see the printer and jobs in cups (via webinterface), but nothing of such features, which controls that all (see below).
So I do not know, if one of the files "MFCJ5345DW.ppd" or "MFCJ5345DW.ppd.0" are in use,
they are identical and owner is root/root, while others have "root/lp". The same mixture of
permission in "/etc/cups/". My user is in lpadmin group.
BTW, I am using Debian Bullseye (on kernel 6.1), cups 2.3.3)
The printer is "device for MFCJ5345DW: ipp://bro"

Code: Select all

$ lpstat -l -p MFCJ5345DW
printer MFCJ5345DW is idle.  enabled since Wed 15 Nov 2023 06:22:12 PM CET
	Form mounted:
	Content types: any
	Printer types: unknown
	Description: MFCJ5345DW
	Alerts: none
	Connection: direct
	Interface: /etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ5345DW.ppd
	On fault: no alert
	After fault: continue
	Users allowed:
		(all)
	Forms allowed:
		(none)
	Banner required
	Charset sets:
		(none)
	Default pitch:
	Default page size:
	Default port settings:
Astoundingly there is this in MFCJ5345DW.ppd

Code: Select all

*PageRegion A4: "<</PageSize[595.275590551181 841.889763779528]>>setpagedevice"
*PageRegion A4.Borderless: "<</PageSize[595.275590551181 841.889763779528]>>setpagedevice"
I looked twice (or more), the measure/area are the same, but I dont know, if these
are in use at all, which units thsi represents and where I can find additional infos about PPD files.
Have not tested this on A3 paper until now.
The problem was the same with my old canon mp560 (which died shortly).

Any help would be great!
Manfred