Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Debian 12 (bookworm) installer reboots in "Detecting network hardware"

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
noisypiano

[Solved] Debian 12 (bookworm) installer reboots in "Detecting network hardware"

#1 Post by noisypiano »

I am currently running Windows. When installing Debian 12, after choosing my keyboard layout, locales etc, when "Detecting network hardware" starts, it stays there for 15/20 seconds and then automatically reboots to Windows. I have reset my BIOS before installing debian. I have both fTPM and Secure Boot disabled. I have a wireless USB adapter. I have also tried installing debian 12 after removing the adapter but it didn't help. Debian version is 12.2 (bookworm).

Hardware specifications:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550M K (rev 1.0)
BIOS version: F4d (latest at the time of writing)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Wireless USB adapter: TP-Link TL-WN722N V2 (EU)
Network Adapters found in Windows Device Manager: https://i.postimg.cc/ZRQ4V6qB/Screensho ... 151418.png
Last edited by noisypiano on 2023-11-17 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

lewulff
LinkedIN: www.linkedin.com/in/

Re: Debian 12 (bookworm) installer reboots in "Detecting network hardware"

#2 Post by lewulff »

Have you tried using an Ethernet to USB adapter for the initial install?

I think most TP-Link wireless adapters (at least the one I had did) requires the "firmware-atheros" package which is in the non-free repository.

Technically it should be possible to pull this with the Debian 12 installer, but I have noticed it does not work as expected sometimes.

noisypiano

#3 Post by noisypiano »

lewulff wrote: 2023-11-16 11:46 Have you tried using an Ethernet to USB adapter for the initial install?

I think most TP-Link wireless adapters (at least the one I had did) requires the "firmware-atheros" package which is in the non-free repository.

Technically it should be possible to pull this with the Debian 12 installer, but I have noticed it does not work as expected sometimes.
I've just tried using an ethernet connection, it did the same thing. Worth mentioning that the lights in the ethernet port didn't blink while I was in the installation and when it was stuck at the "Detecting network hardware" page for 10/15 seconds. As far as I know, from debian 12, you would not have to care about free or non-free firmware because it is included in the iso by default unlike debian 11 for which you have to download a non-free iso manually from their repository.

lewulff
LinkedIN: www.linkedin.com/in/

#4 Post by lewulff »

Since it is rebooting back into Windows, can you take a look at the network adapter settings Windows is using?

noisypiano

#5 Post by noisypiano »

lewulff wrote: 2023-11-16 16:26 Since it is rebooting back into Windows, can you take a look at the network adapter settings Windows is using?
I think I have already posted the link of what you want at the first post.
-
However, I have fixed the problem. The solution is here.
When you do this you have to select "Install" in the boot options. Do not select "Graphical Install" otherwise you wouldn't be able to go back to installer.
This solution basically disables missing firmware checking. Which will cause trouble once you will boot and use debian. But for me I have installed debian at first and then after that I have reinstalled debian without modifying the /bin/check-missing-firmware and it worked with firmware checking and did not hang on installation.
I think maybe this is a bug or probably Windows was making the problem. Because it worked well once I had only debian installed. But still, it shouldn't behave this way and should work fine.