Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Security issue with WIFI being displayed

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
compir

Security issue with WIFI being displayed

#1 Post by compir »

Using Debian 12 Amd 64 with XFCE the network manager applet 1.30.0 displays the WIFI password on a terminal screen without asking for a password. This should be secured from any user opening up the terminal and viewing the WIFI password. Can this be done on Debian 12 ?
debian wifi displayed.png
debian wifi displayed.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 42001 times

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: Security issue with WIFI being displayed

#2 Post by lindi »

The screenshot is empty?

compir

#3 Post by compir »

debian wifi displayed.png

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

There is no issue.

compir

#5 Post by compir »

Can I force the requirement of the Root password before allowing anyone who has ccess to the workstation to view the WIFI password?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

I don't think so without restricting the user to a kiosk type desktop.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Moved from "System and Network configuration" to "Graphical Environments and Desktop" sub-forum.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#8 Post by lindi »

In Debian 12 the Wi-Fi password is stored in a file that only the root user can read. However, the NetworkManager service offers an API for operating on network settings. This API requires authorization. The opration "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system" by default can only be done if you are on the local system (so does not work over SSH), your session is active (so screen is not locked etc.) and you are in the group "sudo" or "netdev". Do you meet these requirements? By default the first user is at least part of "netdev" but subsequent users are not.

admiincomp

#9 Post by admiincomp »

I do not see the API requiring authorization through the network manager app?

If you compare other O.S. such as windows or apple no access to the WIFI can be made without a password, otherwise any user can access the local machines WIFI information

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-07 22:58 I do not see the API requiring authorization through the network manager app?
generally polkit
admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-07 22:58 If you compare other O.S. such as windows or apple no access to the WIFI can be made without a password,...
not in my experience
admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-07 22:58 ..., otherwise any user can access the local machines WIFI information
usually.

How about you just don't let them use your computer.

admiincomp

#11 Post by admiincomp »

That is the only option. You cannot let anyone use the computer if you do not trust them with accessing the WIFI information.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#12 Post by lindi »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-07 22:58 If you compare other O.S. such as windows or apple no access to the WIFI can be made without a password, otherwise any user can access the local machines WIFI information
If I create a guest user on my Debian 12 system, they cannot access the wifi password. Here's a screencast that shows it:

https://lindi.iki.fi/lindi/screencast/d ... sword.webm

admiincomp

#13 Post by admiincomp »

You should not have to create a guest. This issue does not exist on windows or Apple.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#14 Post by lindi »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-17 05:29 You should not have to create a guest. This issue does not exist on windows or Apple.
What issue? Debian lets you configure if a user can configure network or not. By default the first user created can configure the network as that's what most people want but you can change that.

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#15 Post by bbbhltz »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-17 05:29 You should not have to create a guest. This issue does not exist on windows or Apple.
Linux systems are meant to be used by different users and administrators or superusers. I think that might be the reasoning. I wouldn't let anyone except my partner or (maybe) my son use my personal session on a computer. Get he WiFi password? That's nothing. Imagine if you use Chromium as a password manager. Somewhere in
~/.local/
or
~/.config/
is a file with many passwords in it.

It does appear that this is a design/UI/UX decision, though, and other DE's also show the password. So you cannot be the first to mention it and a quick DDG search turns up 7-year-old discussions on other Q&A forums talking about obfuscating the password with a hash, which would only slow someone down.

Also, on Windows I have on more than one occasion "extracted" the WiFi password using tools that can be found through search engines. This was about 10 years ago, to perhaps Windows got wise. I don't know a thing about Apple, except 1) my students love them and 2) my students don't know how to use them.
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#16 Post by lindi »

bbbhltz wrote: 2024-01-17 06:41
It does appear that this is a design/UI/UX decision, though, and other DE's also show the password. So you cannot be the first to mention it and a quick DDG search turns up 7-year-old discussions on other Q&A forums talking about obfuscating the password with a hash, which would only slow someone down.
This is not a UI issue. The password is stored outside users's home directory and there is an API to query that password. The API requires authorization. By default the first user is authorized to access that but if you create more users those are not. I don't see why you would hash a wifi password either, how would you then use it to authenticate to a wifi access point?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#17 Post by steve_v »

lindi wrote: 2024-01-13 10:13If I create a guest user on my Debian 12 system, they cannot access the wifi password.
If you create a guest user, by default they do not have permission to modify system network connections. That is not the same as viewing stored wireless keys.
Said permissions are generally policykit rules, e.g.

Code: Select all

$ cat /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/01-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system.rules 
// Let users in plugdev group modify NetworkManager
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system" &&
        subject.isInGroup("plugdev") && subject.active) {
        return "yes";
    }
});
lindi wrote: 2024-01-17 07:58I don't see why you would hash a wifi password either, how would you then use it to authenticate to a wifi access point?
You can't hash it, because wpa-supplicant needs the plaintext key to authenticate to the AP. You can encrypt it at the widget / manager / GUI level though, (then pass the decrypted string to NM over dbus) and details on the various ways to do that can be found in the usual place.
Otherwise keys are stored in plaintext in /etc/, and can be viewed by anyone with the appropriate filesystem permissions or IPC policy, same as any other OS.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

arzgi

#18 Post by arzgi »

steve_v wrote: 2024-01-17 11:13
You can't hash it, because wpa-supplicant needs the plaintext key to authenticate to the AP.
Wrong, it can be clear text, but when I used wpa-supplicant , I used wpa_passphrase (in the same pacakge) to crypt the wifi-passphrase. And wpa_supplicant.conf had to only root readable, if I remember right.

admiincomp

#19 Post by admiincomp »

The solution has to be forcing the administrator password before allowing access to any WIFI security information.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by CwF »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-22 00:02 The solution has to be forcing the administrator password before allowing access to any WIFI security information.
Not on MY user will there be a forced password,,,
This is why you create, need to create, are forced to create a Guest User
There is no OS that hides the password from the empowered (root, admin, administrator, god, super user, power user, me, etc) user. PERIOD

viewtopic.php?p=788094#p788094