Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Security issue with WIFI being displayed

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
trinidad

Re: Security issue with WIFI being displayed

#21 Post by trinidad »

This issue does not exist on windows
LOL. If you have a decent enough spare Linux computer you can extract anything on a Windows system. Anything. Apple's is insecure in a different way through the user cloud connection. Itunes is a great hacking tool.
I don't think so without restricting the user to a kiosk type desktop
Essentially correct.

Sensible answer is how about just using the lock screen when you walk away from your machine so others have no access... or you may be able, if you have the skill and time, to doctor up an android security cloud app to lock out the network configuration visibility to the user. I'm assuming (maybe but hard to tell) you don't want your kids to gain access to the WIFI password and then connect other devices. This can be accomplished by giving your computer a static address and blocking all other addresses in your router, so it won't matter if they have the password or not because your router will refuse the connection.

I guess you may be asking if there is a way to remove the view password check box from the NM UI. Probably yes but it would involve editing source code for several different parts of the system, UI, NM, Terminal, and other NM components, and in the end normal updates would probably restore it anyway because the default root functions could not be separated out. If the kid is not Linux savvy use NMTUI or NMCLI and don't install the graphical interface for NM.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

admiincomp

#22 Post by admiincomp »

I know that there is no forced password. I am saying it is a security flaw because it is missing and any user should prevent someone with local access to the computer from seeing or modifying the WIFI password.
If I go to a Mac OS, login under a regular account and attempt to view the WIFI Password I am forced to enter a admin password before I can view WIFI info.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by CwF »

Intentionally thick you are!
admiincomp wrote: 2024-02-13 02:17 If I go to a Mac OS, login under a regular account and attempt to view the WIFI Password I am forced to enter a admin password
That is equivalent to this correct answer
lindi wrote: 2024-01-13 10:13 If I create a guest user on my Debian 12 system, they cannot access the wifi password
which is echoed here
steve_v wrote: 2024-01-17 11:13 If you create a guest user,
to which you say
admiincomp wrote: 2024-01-17 05:29 You should not have to create a guest.
Stop poking the bear and do not tap the glass.

admiincomp

#24 Post by admiincomp »

The issue is if a user wants to share there computer with another using Debian they risk the WIFI information being displayed or modified. The second item is if a Linux laptop wants to showcase there Linux only laptop in the same fashion as Best buy where they can show the laptop and allow users to play around with the workstation, this can not be done as it would risk the compromising the Best buy WIFI information.

arzgi

#25 Post by arzgi »

Well there are ways to use wifi in Linux. I have only used wpa-supplicant and now iwd, and they require admin rights to alter wifi-password. And they don't even show the wifi-password in normal usage.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by CwF »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-02-20 19:16 risk the compromising the Best buy WIFI information.
Seriously? Tell your bosses bosses boss to get a clue!
Many public spaces have an open public access wifi available for their customers, patrons, people. You telling me the subway shop can deal with it and Best Buy can't.

admiincomp

#27 Post by admiincomp »

The point is the workstation itself which could be Windows or Apple, the WIFI information cannot be obtained or viewed.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by CwF »

It's been covered