Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] NFS common

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
audiolover

[Solved] NFS common

#1 Post by audiolover »

Installed Debian 12, newest release. I had experience with Debian before and knew I needed to install nfs-common in order to mount my networkshares. Unfortunatley nfs-common no longer available thru Synaptic? So I downloaded the package from the Debian server but it does not install due to other missing packages that are not available. Installation of the other packages also a problem because of dependencies.

Is there another nfs package that I can install or another solution? I preferably do not want to use samba or cifs.
Last edited by audiolover on 2023-12-07 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

Re: NFS common

#2 Post by arzgi »

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/debian_version 

$ aptitude search nfs
p   fai-nfsroot                       - Fully Automatic Installation nfsroot package
v   knfs                              -                                             
p   libfile-nfslock-perl              - perl module to do NFS (or not) locking      
p   libnfs-dev                        - NFS client library (development files)      
p   libnfs-utils                      - NFS client library (binaries)               
p   libnfs13                          - NFS client library (shared library)         
p   libnfsidmap-dev                   - header files and docs for libnfsidmap       
v   libnfsidmap-regex                 -                                             
p   libnfsidmap1                      - NFS idmapping library                       
v   libnfsidmap2                      -                                             
p   libyanfs-java                     - Yet Another NFS - a Java NFS library        
v   nfs-client                        -                                             
p   nfs-common                        - Yhteiset NFS-tukitiedostot asiakas- ja palve
p   nfs-ganesha                       - NFS server in User Space                    
p   nfs-ganesha-ceph                  - nfs-ganesha fsal ceph libraries             
p   nfs-ganesha-doc                   - Documentation for nfs-ganesha               
p   nfs-ganesha-gluster               - nfs-ganesha fsal gluster libraries          
p   nfs-ganesha-gpfs                  - nfs-ganesha fsal gpfs libraries             
p   nfs-ganesha-mem                   - nfs-ganesha fsal mem libraries              
p   nfs-ganesha-mount-9p              - nfs-ganesha mount.9P                        
p   nfs-ganesha-nullfs                - nfs-ganesha fsal nullfs libraries           
p   nfs-ganesha-proxy-v4              - nfs-ganesha fsal proxy v4 libraries         
p   nfs-ganesha-rados-grace           - nfs-ganesha ganesha-rados-grace program     
p   nfs-ganesha-rgw                   - nfs-ganesha fsal rgw libraries              
p   nfs-ganesha-vfs                   - nfs-ganesha fsal vfs libraries              
p   nfs-kernel-server                 - support for NFS kernel server               
v   nfs-server                        -                                             
p   nfs4-acl-tools                    - Commandline and GUI ACL utilities for the NF
p   nfstrace                          - NFS tracing/monitoring/capturing/analyzing t
p   nfstrace-doc                      - NFS tracing/monitoring/capturing/analyzing t
p   nfswatch                          - Program to monitor NFS traffic for the conso
v   openfst                           -                                             
p   python3-nfs-ganesha               - Python bindings for nfs-ganesha             
p   unionfs-fuse                      - Fuse implementation of unionfs              
arto@dell:~/bin$ 
nfs-common is still available. I used nfs decades ago, I think ssh/rsync are more versatile.

audiolover

#3 Post by audiolover »

So why I cannot install it? It is not in synaptic and because of dependencies installable?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

arzgi wrote: 2023-12-01 10:24I think ssh/rsync are more versatile.
Unless you want real, semi-permanent network mounts with tolerable performance/overhead. Neither rsync nor ssh can give me random access to my ZFS pools at ~980MB/s :P
And yes, NFS works just fine in the current stable. nfs-common hasn't gone anywhere.
audiolover wrote: 2023-12-01 09:59I downloaded the package from the Debian server but it does not install due to other missing packages that are not available.
Not a particularly good idea in general.
Post your sources.list (and anything under /etc/apt/sources.list.d) and output of 'apt-cache policy', you're probably missing a repository (or all of them, if you installed without selecting a mirror).
audiolover wrote: 2023-12-01 09:59It is not in synaptic
No idea, I have no use for synaptic. Use apt/aptitude at the CLI.
Last edited by steve_v on 2023-12-02 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

steve_v wrote: 2023-12-01 10:58
arzgi wrote: 2023-12-01 10:24It is not in synaptic
No idea, I have no use for synaptic. Use apt/aptitude at the CLI.
Please do not put others words to me :roll:

peer

#6 Post by peer »

apt list nfs-common
Listing... Done
nfs-common/stable,now 1:2.6.2-4 amd64 [installed]
It is installed on my pc and nfs works without issues

audiolover

#7 Post by audiolover »

You're probably missing a repository (or all of them, if you installed without selecting a mirror).

That is it! I installed using wifi during installation and Debian does not let me connect to wifi during installation. So I installed without a mirror.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by steve_v »

arzgi wrote: 2023-12-01 12:49 Please do not put others words to me
Appologies, corrected.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

audiolover

#9 Post by audiolover »

Installed the newest Debian, now using network and nfs-common is installed. As in previous installations I added the line for mounting my networkdrive to fstab:

192.168.178.xxx:/muziek/overig /mnt/muziek nfs defaults,nofail 0 0

When using " mount -a" I get the message: "mount.nfs: Protocol not supported".

I am stuck, any bright ideas?

audiolover

#10 Post by audiolover »

Also, after changing something in fstab I get the message: "mount: (hint) your fstab has been modified, but systemd still uses the old version; use 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload".

After running this command I can use mount -a with the error in the previous post

cfb

#11 Post by cfb »

If you look at

man nfs
you will see that NFS (probably) only supports NFS protocol version 3, 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2.
You have not told us what your NFS server is.
You may want to check that it supports one of the protocol versions mentioned above.

audiolover

#12 Post by audiolover »

that is it, version 4 of nfs was not activated on mij nas. problem solved, thank you very much!

jmgibson1981

#13 Post by jmgibson1981 »

You may want to adjust to a systemd automount and idle timeout. learned this one awhile ago. No manual mucking about

192.168.1.2:/snapraid/pool/music /mnt/servermusic nfs defaults,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=30 0 0
In fstab

audiolover

#14 Post by audiolover »

What is the advantage of this?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by Aki »

Hello,
audiolover wrote: 2023-12-04 16:23 that is it, version 4 of nfs was not activated on mij nas. problem solved, thank you very much!
I'm glad you sorted it out. :)

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message (after other tags, if any); for example:
[Solved] Cannot mount NFS share
Happy Debian ! :)
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

cfb

#16 Post by cfb »

audiolover wrote: 2023-12-04 17:34 What is the advantage of this?
The advantage is that the NFS share is not mounted at boot but only when actually used, then unmounted again when not used for 30 seconds.
By the way: You can leave out options "defaults" and "noauto". They are not necessary.

You should read:

man systemd.mount
man systemd.automount

ibanezz

#17 Post by ibanezz »

peer wrote: 2023-12-01 14:04 os: debian 12.2 stable:

apt list nfs-common
Listing... Done
nfs-common/stable,now 1:2.6.2-4 amd64 [installed]
It is installed on my pc and nfs works without issues
This is pretty useless information for someone that can't find nfs-common with 12.2 repos.

ibanezz

#18 Post by ibanezz »

audiolover wrote: 2023-12-01 14:09 You're probably missing a repository (or all of them, if you installed without selecting a mirror).

That is it! I installed using wifi during installation and Debian does not let me connect to wifi during installation. So I installed without a mirror.

Soooooo, are you going to tell us WHICH REPO nfs-common is on or what??? Don't post a problem again without also a useful soln if found. Thanks.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#19 Post by steve_v »

ibanezz wrote: 2024-03-20 03:25 Soooooo, are you going to tell us WHICH REPO nfs-common is on or what???
Why? nfs-common is in the main stable repo, as a cursory search on packages.debian.org would reveal.
The appropriate source lines for said repo are on the debian wiki, as they have ever been.
ibanezz wrote: 2024-03-20 03:25 Don't post a problem again without also a useful soln if found. Thanks.
Don't shout at others for not providing you answers on a silver platter when you haven't done even basic research yourself.
Or perhaps you think bumping this 3 month old solved thread thread every 2 minutes will get someone to rush in with the feeding spoon? :roll: