Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Off-Topic]

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Aunonno

[Off-Topic]

#1 Post by Aunonno »

I was just wondering is this website also maintained by the community? I mean i don't wanna show any disrespect to anyone but this site looks like a site from 80's. I think it's times for upgrade it. :)
And if the admin allow me i would like to make a beautiful site for Debian. I always wanted to work for the debian community. :-)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Off-Topic]

#2 Post by sunrat »

This forum has been running since 2006 and is a user forum, not run by the developers community but is loosely supported by it. The mod/admin team are all volunteers with only a couple of Debian Developers involved
It runs on phpBB which has it's own quirks and bugs but changing to something else would be a mammoth task. It has been considered to change to another platform but it's not likely to happen any time soon.
If you don't like how it looks you can change the theme in your user preferences. We had a poll some time ago about themes and only the ones which were most popular, and which (mostly) work correctly, are now available.

Also it would be appreciated if you could give your topic an actual descriptive name rather than just a prefix.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Aunonno wrote: 2023-12-16 02:00 I mean i don't wanna show any disrespect to anyone but this site looks like a site from 80's.
Could you provide a link to an example of what that looked like in the eighties, and what is a good example now?

Uptorn

#4 Post by Uptorn »

Aunonno wrote: 2023-12-16 02:00 I think it's times for upgrade it.
Please, no. It's fine without all the bloat and without buttons and dialogues that take up huge screen real estate. I really like that every major function of the forum is possible without running any kind of javascript.

friendlysalmon88

#5 Post by friendlysalmon88 »

I really like the keep it simple approach that the Debian forums Administrators and Moderators have taken with the minimal no-frills interface. I've been on other Distribution specific forums and they tend to have what IMHO is an obscene fetish with buttons and the dreaded java-script.

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

Uptorn wrote: 2023-12-17 03:52
Aunonno post :mrgreen: wrote:2023-12-16 02:00 I think it's times for upgrade it.
Please, no. It's fine without all the bloat and without buttons and dialogues that take up huge screen real estate. I really like that every major function of the forum is possible without running any kind of javascript.
Are you actually using internet without JS?
I guess you like pain, or have something to hide… :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by steve_v »

pawRoot wrote: 2024-01-02 08:30 I guess you like pain, or have something to hide… :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I guess you like trolling, or don't mind running random mystery code on your machine for no valid reason...

As to the OP... Just No. This board is fine the way it is. The last thing it needs is some random web designer screwing with it to make it "more modern". :roll:
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

pawRoot

#8 Post by pawRoot »

steve_v wrote: 2024-01-02 09:55
pawRoot wrote: 2024-01-02 08:30 I guess you like pain, or have something to hide… :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I guess you like trolling, or don't mind running random mystery code on your machine for no valid reason...

As to the OP... Just No. This board is fine the way it is. The last thing it needs is some random web designer screwing with it to make it "more modern". :roll:
I mean 99% of websites won't work properly without JS, so how would you even use it? :mrgreen:

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by steve_v »

This one does, and keeping it that way is the point.
As for the garbage-fire that is the rest of the "modern" web... Selectively, with a configurable script and content blocker. Then again, most sites that don't work without extensive javascript or have a no-js fallback aren't worth visiting anyway.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

pawRoot

#10 Post by pawRoot »

steve_v wrote: 2024-01-02 12:07 This one does, and keeping it that way is the point.
As for the garbage-fire that is the rest of the "modern" web... Selectively, with a configurable script and content blocker. Then again, most sites that don't work without extensive javascript or have a no-js fallback aren't worth visiting anyway.
I agree that websites are bloated with JS, but I can't imagine using internet without JS, and I've tried.

What if your local GP forces you to use their website?
What if your bank requires JS?
What if you buy a car and your dealership requires JS website to sign the contract?

The list goes on and on, so not using JS is impossible in 2024 unless you're disconnected from the world.

Diesel330

#11 Post by Diesel330 »

The forum is good, functional, and it looks better than many modern layouts. And most importantly, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger have nothing to block here
Last edited by Diesel330 on 2024-01-02 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#12 Post by steve_v »

pawRoot wrote: 2024-01-02 12:16not using JS is impossible in 2024 unless you're disconnected from the world.
Which is why I said "selectively", something you seem to have conveniently ignored.
Beyond that, you appear to be intentionally conflating "I really like that every major function of the forum is possible without running any kind of javascript" with "I don't allow any javascript at all", which nobody here has stated... Presumably for the purpose of starting this argument, which I will not perpetuate.

pawRoot

#13 Post by pawRoot »

steve_v wrote: 2024-01-02 12:36
pawRoot wrote: 2024-01-02 12:16not using JS is impossible in 2024 unless you're disconnected from the world.
Which is why I said "selectively", something you seem to have conveniently ignored.
Beyond that, you appear to be intentionally conflating "I really like that every major function of the forum is possible without running any kind of javascript" with "I don't allow any javascript at all", which nobody here has stated... Presumably for the purpose of starting this argument, which I will not perpetuate.
Ok I thought you mean you aren't using JS at all. :oops:

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#14 Post by cds60601 »

Aunonno wrote: 2023-12-16 02:00 I think it's times for upgrade it. :) And if the admin allow me i would like to make a beautiful site for Debian. I always wanted to work for the debian community. :-)
[/quote

This is the crux of the post. Not to mention the obvious overtone of the Op "thinking" they will be the web designer, ("I always wanted to work for the debian community") long term.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#15 Post by steve_v »

Depending on how pessimistic one is and how one reads "work for", that could be taken as naive (thinking that a web designer with no previous contribution to the community would be trusted to overhaul FDN), or adver-spam job-fishing ("Your website looks old, pls employ me to fix it").
Either way, it's not something we need.

trinidad

#16 Post by trinidad »

As for the garbage-fire that is the rest of the "modern" web
100 thumbs up.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Uptorn

#17 Post by Uptorn »

pawRoot wrote: 2024-01-02 11:27 I mean 99% of websites won't work properly without JS, so how would you even use it? :mrgreen:
In my experience, the majority of the web functions fine without allowing javascript. Most sites are just displaying text to be read. There's no reason for them to do anything other than a static page.

Aunonno

#18 Post by Aunonno »

okay guys i understand! Thank You for your reply. :-)

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#19 Post by donald »

Diesel330 wrote: 2024-01-02 12:35 The forum is good, functional, and it looks better than many modern layouts. And most importantly, uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger have nothing to block here
This is the goal. Thank you for bringing it up and pointing it out. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

Aunonno

#20 Post by Aunonno »

Oh and last one thing i would like to ask which is just suggestions about something i would like to working on by my self but i could get into trouble so i thought before doing anything i should discuss it with you guys first! I hope i will get best suggestions from you guys. :-) So as you know in Linux there is very few options are available when it comes to games. I mean other game developers working on it too but i just wanted to contribute and make some old small games which used too available for windows XP or windows 7. I know there is a software available called "Wine" but it's problem is it's not good for security i mean once you installed it won't check what type of software you are running it can run games, it can run normal software and also if you accidentally download a virus it can run it too. So i was just wondering to make those games from scratch with different names but the concept will be same for example like "Mostofa", "Virtual Cop 2", "IGI 2" like small games which developed for windows and not for Linux so i wanna make those games from scratch only for Linux and i will make it open-source and the code will available in my GitHub. In synaptic package manager only chess, pacman and snake like games are available so i thought i should build this too so if someone wanna remember those old times or just want to pass the time they can install it. Now main question is do those company's can be give me copyright strike? I mean i will change name and code it from scratch but still little bit worrying, if you guys don't know what i am talking about exactly let me tell you in details for example like one guy or girl make a similar game like "Age of Empire" for Linux called "0ad" and his/her game is available in his/her website and the source code is available on his/her GitHub. I don't know if he/she took permission from Microsoft before doing this? Or they just do it randomly so that's why i am asking, if you guys could tell me that which path will be the good and legal way to make some small games for Linux i mean alternative of windows games would be very helpful! "THANK YOU" :-)