Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Off-Topic]

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Uptorn

Re: [Off-Topic]

#21 Post by Uptorn »

Aunonno wrote: 2024-02-22 00:26 So as you know in Linux there is very few options are available when it comes to games.
*When compared to Windows
I mean other game developers working on it too but i just wanted to contribute and make some old small games which used too available for windows XP or windows 7.
I like your gusto.
I know there is a software available called "Wine" but it's problem is it's not good for security i mean once you installed it won't check what type of software you are running it can run games, it can run normal software and also if you accidentally download a virus it can run it too.
It is also keeping the gaming industry from breaking free from the Win32+DirectX format. A vicious cycle that keeps game authorship skulking away from standardizing development to target builds in a platform agnostic manner. Wine (and Proton), are bad for gaming on Linux over a long time span, strategically speaking.
So i was just wondering to make those games from scratch with different names but the concept will be same for example like "Mostofa", "Virtual Cop 2", "IGI 2" like small games which developed for windows and not for Linux so i wanna make those games from scratch only for Linux and i will make it open-source and the code will available in my GitHub.
Good luck. That sounds like a massive undertaking.
In synaptic package manager only chess, pacman and snake like games are available so i thought i should build this too so if someone wanna remember those old times or just want to pass the time they can install it.
Debian also packages some games of relatively professional quality as well. It's just that the little casual games outnumber them seemingly 50:1 (my estimate).
Now main question is do those company's can be give me copyright strike?
There are many open source games which are blatant clones of some commercial product, just have a look at osgameclones. The key is to create unique assets which aren't just ripped from the original game's commercial counterpart.
I mean i will change name and code it from scratch but still little bit worrying, if you guys don't know what i am talking about exactly let me tell you in details for example like one guy or girl make a similar game like "Age of Empire" for Linux called "0ad" and his/her game is available in his/her website and the source code is available on his/her GitHub.
Like said above, making games of the quality of 0ad is a massive undertaking and generally is the product of cumulative effort by many individuals working together and pooling their talents. If you can make such a highly polished game by yourself, then you are a legend.
I don't know if he/she took permission from Microsoft before doing this? Or they just do it randomly so that's why i am asking, if you guys could tell me that which path will be the good and legal way to make some small games for Linux i mean alternative of windows games would be very helpful! "THANK YOU" :-)
My advice:

It sounds like you just want more games available for your Debian computer. While there are already some games of high quality in the Debian repository, not all of the best open source and libre games are currently packaged for Debian.

Your effort might be better directed at packaging these existing games so that they may be available in Debian.

Here's some ideas:
  • Anything from the Debian Games Suggested wiki page. Some are blocked because they currently rely on copyrighted assets (models, audio, textures, images...). If you have the time and energy, consider re-imagining and replacing some of these assets in a freely licensed way. Some candidates:
    • Barony - Is an incredible open source first-person roguelike with massive replayability. It's source code is MIT licensed IIRC but the artistic assets (books, cuboid models, music, sounds, etc) are copyrighted. But if libre replacements existed, they could be drop-in replacements, enabling the possible inclusion of Barony in Debian.
  • Ryzom - a complete MMORPG with an active playerbase that has been fully open sourced and receives updates to this day. If you can figure out how to use its mercurial build system to produce builds for different architectures and package it for Debian, songs of your heroics would be sung for generations to come.
  • Xonotic - Debian currently has Nexuiz, the game from which Xonotic was forked from. Visually, at least, Xonotic is a massive improvement.
  • Veloren
  • Unvanquished
  • OpenSpades
  • Pioneer
  • Speed Dreams
  • And many, many more

arzgi

#22 Post by arzgi »

@Uptorn gave just a good answer, I will continue from different aspect. Many games available for Linux user are quite simple, they usually are products of one or few persons. Some better, like already mentioned 0adm, have a community behind, larger games need more resources when created,

There have been at least two tryouts to make commercial Linux games, the first wast Loki games, but if did not survive long, as Linux users don't have to pay for most programs they use.

The second was the Linux Games Publishing, which compiled some windows games to work with Linux. It was killed be Steam, which has Linux games as well, but you have to install steam, it is in the Debian repo.

I am happy that I bought Knights and Merchants from the LGP, I've played it thorough at least 50 times :mrgreen: I usually don't play computer games, but that just hit a nerve.

Aunonno

#23 Post by Aunonno »

Thank You so much "Uptorn" for giving me your valuable time and for replying all my questions and also for providing me so many suggestions! :-)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#24 Post by steve_v »

NLDR. (No linebreaks, didn't read). Something about games I gather.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Dr Cheeto Cornchip

#25 Post by Dr Cheeto Cornchip »

@arzgi If you like strategy games I've got a sci-fi themed one called Carpe Diem that I whipped up in Godot engine. My girlfriend plays it for hours on end. I submitted to have it listed on GamingOnLinux's free games database twice, but it was never published there. I wrote them an email about it, but they never wrote back. https://www.inventati.org/1337gallery/g ... ediem.html

The whole Godot project can be downlaoded there too, in zip format. Got an FPS in development now.

There's also freegamedev.net which is a forum for open source game developers. They have a showcase section listing a bunch of open source games, but they're mostly like the types of games you're talking about.
"Grandpa Rick can you help me with my science homework?" -Summer Smith
"Yeah, just don't do it." -Rick Sanchez
https://www.inventati.org/1337gallery

arzgi

#26 Post by arzgi »

Dr Cheeto Cornchip wrote: 2024-02-28 19:42 @arzgi If you like strategy games I've got a sci-fi themed one called Carpe Diem that I whipped up in Godot engine. My girlfriend plays it for hours on end. I submitted to have it listed on GamingOnLinux's free games database twice, but it was never published there. I wrote them an email about it, but they never wrote back. https://www.inventati.org/1337gallery/g ... ediem.html

The whole Godot project can be downlaoded there too, in zip format. Got an FPS in development now.

There's also freegamedev.net which is a forum for open source game developers. They have a showcase section listing a bunch of open source games, but they're mostly like the types of games you're talking about.
Thanks!