Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
PsychoHermit

[solved] What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

#1 Post by PsychoHermit »

Greetings folks,

What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

My sound card in not supported in the testing kernel, and I want to try the unstable kernel hoping that it will support my sound card. I've been searching for ways to list the packages available in unstable, and not having any luck.

Actually it would be even better if someone knows how to query apt to find the version of the kernel that's available. That way I could upgrade my kernel when a new version is available.

Thanks in advance,
--glenn
Last edited by PsychoHermit on 2023-12-23 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

#2 Post by sunrat »

Currently it's the same as the Testing kernel. You can always check at https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... mage-amd64
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

PsychoHermit

Re: What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

#3 Post by PsychoHermit »

Sunrat,

Thank you very much. now I can check it now and then to see if it's been updated.

--glenn

sickie

Re: [solved] What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

#4 Post by sickie »

A new version has just been released. I am running it and as of yet it runs great. It's 6.6.8. They also changed the way versioning works and it finally shows the correct version of the kernel instead of Debian's version (like for previous kernel it showed 6.5.0-5 instead of 6.5.13). Tho this might be an oversight in packaging and later it will revert to showing Debian's version instead of actual version.

:shock:

stevepusser

Re: [solved] What version of the kernel is available in unstable?

#5 Post by stevepusser »

If your sound card still doesn't work, I would try the Liquorix kernel, since they enable more hardware in the configs than Debian. Or possibly you may have some missing firmware issue, but it's hard to determine without any info on the hardware.

I've managed to backport the new Sid 6.6.8 kernel for MX 23 in generic Bookworm build environments, but as is, it fails for Bullseye, due to requiring python 3.11 for some of the new versioning "operations" quite a ways into the build. I have a pretty good lead on fixing that today, though. I also managed to speed up the build by disabling the rt realtime kernel builds, since Liquorix is a pretty good replacement for those on the desktop (not for real realtime, though, like CNC machining!)
MX Linux packager and developer