Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] [Hardware] 2.5 g ethernet pci-e recommendation

Need help with peripherals or devices?
StevenFriedrich

[Solved] [Hardware] 2.5 g ethernet pci-e recommendation

#1 Post by StevenFriedrich »

I recently bought a 2.5 G switch and USB Ethernet adapters. I am now interested in buying a pci-e ethernet card. Anybody have recommendations for cards readily available in the U.S.. perhaps from Amazon or BestBuy?
The TEG-25GECTX is based on a Realtek chip and works great. I ordered two more. I put the first on in an old Dell Inspiron 3668 that multi-boots; Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Mint Xfce, debian12, and win10. No issues.
Last edited by StevenFriedrich on 2024-01-13 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hetzer

Re: [Hardware] 2.5 g ethernet pci-e recommendation

#2 Post by Hetzer »

Intel-based gigabit ethernet cards are probably best out there. If ye want to make use of this 2,5gbps, look for Realtek-based (they need non-freeness (non-free firmware) to work, though).
Avoid Broadcom-based as they have pretty restrictive firmware distribution policy + they ain't as reliable as Intel's anyway

It nearly always doesn't matter who manufactured the card, the most important is the chipset it has

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Discussion moved from "General Questions" to "Hardware" sub-forum.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

StevenFriedrich

#4 Post by StevenFriedrich »

Hetzer wrote: 2024-01-06 09:57 Intel-based gigabit ethernet cards are probably best out there. If ye want to make use of this 2,5gbps, look for Realtek-based (they need non-freeness (non-free firmware) to work, though).
Avoid Broadcom-based as they have pretty restrictive firmware distribution policy + they ain't as reliable as Intel's anyway

It nearly always doesn't matter who manufactured the card, the most important is the chipset it has
Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a TRENDnet 2.5GBase-T PCIe Network Adapter, TEG-25GECTX. I will post my result this weekend.

StevenFriedrich

#5 Post by StevenFriedrich »

The TEG-25GECTX is based on a Realtek chip and works great. I ordered two more. I put the first on in an old Dell Inspiron 3668 that multi-boots; Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Mint Xfce, debian12, and win10. No issues.