Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

~/.profile use for delay control systemd automounts

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

~/.profile use for delay control systemd automounts

#1 Post by CwF »

IansMusical wrote: 2024-01-03 16:44 When it comes to nfs I found the same behaviour via upgrade or install, in that my systemd automount units were being triggered by pool and/or gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor several times at boot/login, then in nemo the share is shown under both "Network" and "Devices/Removable drives", which is strange. The behaviour under Debian 10.x is that the share was only triggered/auto-mounted via the nemo bookmark or CDing into the share mount point, then in nemo it was shown under "Devices".

In short automount units seem to be being triggered automatically at boot when they didn't use to be.
You may want to try using ~/.profile for later declarations. I've moved in this direction and it simplifies modifications in/etc/anything, except establishing a polkit rule for the user to use systemd-mount.
see-viewtopic.php?t=155840

I add specifics to the user profile to be used only then:

Code: Select all

#create tmpfs disk savers
# systemd-mount -t tmpfs -o size=4G dram ~/Downloads
# systemd-mount -t tmpfs -o size=1G thram ~/.cache/thumbnails
# systemd-mount -t tmpfs -o size=60G vram ~/Videos/vram
#start user automounts
systemd-mount --discover --automount=yes --timeout-idle-sec=120 /dev/disk/by-label/music ~/Music/music
Ignore the tmpfs teasers, that last one could be modified with your particular What and Where
This will create transient mount and automount units and I assume file managers and desktop icons will respond with the style of your particular choices. In Xfce desktop icons will dim and brighten according to mount status, thunar will add two devices (annoying), one for the mount unit that shades when unmounted, and one for the automount unit which offer the caret with action options. I ignore both.

This would require removing prior unit declarations in /etc.

Test your solutions with your mods to the command line in a terminal before committing the add to ~/,profile. There is no error if the mount is already established or if the mount What is not available when logging in, or in logout/login cycles. The mounts won't exist on boot, only active on login until the timeout.