Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Free firmware only

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Hetzer

Re: Free firmware only

#21 Post by Hetzer »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-02-27 00:19 I am unclear as to the solution as it appears their is no documentation.

Is getting free software only done through a grub setting firmware=never, or a combination of changing sources.list as shown above?
If "firmware-never" is specified, no non-freeness will be installed and appropriate /etc/apt/sources.list will be generated.
Ye only need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list when Debian was installed with non-free firmware
Heave 'er up, and away we'll go...

stevepusser

#22 Post by stevepusser »

Isn't any free firmware just going to be in the main section already?

I await the results of how your machine works without any nonfree firmware blobs; there aren't that many that can. I thought they had to be special builds, like Purism did.
MX Linux packager and developer

Uptorn

#23 Post by Uptorn »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-02-27 00:19 I am unclear as to the solution as it appears their is no documentation.

Is getting free software only done through a grub setting firmware=never, or a combination of changing sources.list as shown above?
The comment from user None1975 had thrown some confusion into the mix.

Some background is necessary. Debian 12 is the first release of Debian to ever include non-free firmware in the installation images. Because of this, there are some users who wish to disable this inclusion of non-free software during installation. None1975's suggestion addresses such concerns.

But for most cases, including yours, simply removing non-free-firmware from the sources.list should be adequate.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#24 Post by None1975 »

Uptorn wrote: 2024-03-02 06:09 But for most cases, including yours, simply removing non-free-firmware from the sources.list should be adequate.
This simple method won't work because a standard (non-expert) install will still install the non-free-firmware. I.e. the average user who installed Debian 12 in the standard way will already have the closed source firmware on their system. If it removes the "non-free-firmware" entries, it won't get any security updates for those closed source packages.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

admiincomp

#25 Post by admiincomp »

since there is no clear documentation I will not attempt the change.