Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VirtualBox install ok, but never prompted for users

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
lightman47

VirtualBox install ok, but never prompted for users

#1 Post by lightman47 »

The installation went well. As mentioned, I was never prompted for users/passwords (including root). Now it starts and prompts for the password of "vboxuser". I've tried booting into runlevel 1 so I might add users & passwords but, of course, it wants the password for root - and there is none!!

What are my options for 'breaking in' to setup root and other user accounts?

Thank you.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: VirtualBox install ok, but never prompted for users

#2 Post by CwF »

lightman47 wrote: 2024-01-26 16:00 I was never prompted for users/passwords (including root). Now it starts and prompts for the password of "vboxuser".
Which is not what happens in a default Debian installation.
lightman47 wrote: 2024-01-26 16:00 I've tried booting into runlevel 1 so I might add users & passwords
Why?
lightman47 wrote: 2024-01-26 16:00 What are my options for 'breaking in' to setup root and other user accounts?
Start over.

lightman47

#3 Post by lightman47 »

I didn't think it worked that way, but I sat here waiting for the prompt! Incidentally, I've installed from the same file at least 2 other times previously and always been prompted. Starting over is no problem; I was just wondering if there was another way.

Thanks.

lightman47

#4 Post by lightman47 »

FOUND IT! VirtualBox defaults to Unattended installation - in which it creates that user. I changed the username to root and supplied my root password for the do-over! We'll see how it goes.

(I had originally downloaded the iso from Debian.)

lightman47

#5 Post by lightman47 »

Result: Although initially 'clunky' at first (thanks Virtualbox), I'm up & running.

Lessons:
turn OFF the {now default} Unattended Installation!
failing that, don't set it to root!! Installation will run fine for a while, then complain about trying to use a Reserved Name and request a user name. When you assign the username, it uses the password (and text name) originally fed to virtualbox install for "root" to your new user. All easily fixed, but geeee!

Thank you.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message (after other tags, if any); for example:
[Solved] VirtualBox install ok, but never prompted for users
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀