Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Grub Menu is always hidden

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pwzhangzz

[Solved] Grub Menu is always hidden

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

During a reboot, my grub menu is always hidden (the default is not-hidden), unless I power the machine off for at least a few seconds and restart the machine. Then the grub menu will be shown.

My /etc/default/grub file is shown as follows, it was created by bkworm or sid installations by default:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_DEFAULT="1>2"
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
Last edited by pwzhangzz on 2024-01-27 18:39, edited 2 times in total.

cfb

Re: Grub Menu is always hidden

#2 Post by cfb »

I had a similar problem some years ago.
It turned out that the monitor did not receive a signal until the 5 seconds in GRUB_TIMEOUT had passed.
I changed GRUB_TIMEOUT to 15 seconds which made the GRUB menu visible for the last few seconds of the 15.
You could try the same workaround.

pwzhangzz

#3 Post by pwzhangzz »

I did change the GRUB_TIMEOUT parameter to 10. It helped but not always. Looks like I may have to up it to 20. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ed.: Changing from hdmi to dp also seems to have solved the problem.

pwzhangzz

#4 Post by pwzhangzz »

Everything is good now. Never realized that dp vs hdmi could make such a big difference. Or it could have just been a bad/inadequate hdmi cable. Thanks a whole lot for sharing the experience.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2024-01-27 18:38 Everything is good now. Never realized that dp vs hdmi could make such a big difference. Or it could have just been a bad/inadequate hdmi cable. Thanks a whole lot for sharing the experience.
Don't know the details, but dp seems to work so much better with linux. My wife bought a new monitor, she got it working once or twice after several dozens reboots, that was hdmi. She bought another, which works better. I tried the first with my pc, which has a dp connector, and it has worked every time.

I have heard also others have had problems with hdmi.

pwzhangzz

Re: [Solved] Grub Menu is always hidden

#6 Post by pwzhangzz »

Learning something new everyday. This is a great forum!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

Awhile back I changed out a monitor used by three computers, one vga, one DVI, on hdmi. Two never had issues, one always failed to display the lvm decrypt, or grub thru hdmi. Doing it blind always worked. I thought it was the particular installation. With no changes other than monitor that install now post fine. No idea why.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

I have two monitors, one DP, the other a large TV on HDMI. The GRUB menu and POST never shows unless I switch off the power to the TV; otherwise the first thing displayed is the login screen.
It's only a minor annoyance as I rarely boot anything else than my main Debian and just flick the power switch for the TV off at the wall if I wish to boot a different OS or enter UEFI setup menu.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pwzhangzz

#9 Post by pwzhangzz »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2024-01-27 18:38 Everything is good now. Never realized that dp vs hdmi could make such a big difference. Or it could have just been a bad/inadequate hdmi cable? Thanks a whole lot for sharing the experience.
HDMI is evil:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/HDMI-2.1-OSS-Rejected

"The now-private HDMI specs are hurting the open-source community"

But it is going to be replaced by USB-C anyway. Look forward to the day when HDMI becomes obsolete. Forgotten!

pwzhangzz

#10 Post by pwzhangzz »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2024-02-28 22:45 HDMI is evil:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/HDMI-2.1-OSS-Rejected

"The now-private HDMI specs are hurting the open-source community"

But it is going to be replaced by USB-C anyway. Look forward to the day when HDMI becomes obsolete. Forgotten!
Just realized that I can effortlessly mirror my Debian screen to my TV via wifi (how ignorant of me!)

Below is a picture of mirroring my Sid screen onto a 75 inch TV:
wifi_mirror.resized.jpg
Can't remember who said this (if ever) that "desperation is the best friend of creativity". :D

The response time is also surprisingly better than I had expected! (Again, so ignorant of me.)