Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] What's tool that's recommended to switching between gpu(s)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
roastnetwork215

[Solved] What's tool that's recommended to switching between gpu(s)

#1 Post by roastnetwork215 »

Hi, I am new here.

I want to ask small question.
What's tool that's recommended for switching between Intel and NVIDIA GPU in MATE using Lightdm? (I have NVIDIA-Closed GPU Installed) i have searched across the search engine and found nothing (Wiki on debian page exist, But it looks that only apply to Xorg Server, not Lightdm).
Last edited by roastnetwork215 on 2024-03-16 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

Re: What's tool that's recommended to switching between gpu(s)

#2 Post by bbbhltz »

You need to look for how to configure and manage hybrid graphics

You might get some hints here https://github.com/Aviksaikat/Hybrid-Graphics-Setup and here https://blog.desdelinux.net/en/vgaswitc ... ributions/ (NB that link is from 2014)
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

LightDM is a display manager and Xorg is a display server. If LightDM is starting an Xorg session, then the Debian Wiki applies.

The actual steps seem to depend on hardware and drivers in use (I'm not an Nvidia user). To get advice on this, you should probably add the information given in this topic using the same commands, then members who do have experience can give you some advice before you proceed.

viewtopic.php?t=154524

roastnetwork215

#4 Post by roastnetwork215 »

I have checked the Display server and it outputs X11. Do it have same effect as X server?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

roastnetwork215 wrote: 2024-01-27 08:54 I have checked the Display server and it outputs X11. Do it have same effect as X server?
X11 is the windowing system that runs on the X server, which is X.Org in Linux. An xorg/X11 session implies X11 and X.org, AFAIK. That is the sum total of my understanding. I believe Mate is moving to Wayland, which replaces X, but LightDM doesn't support Wayland, so if you have LightDM, graphics are going to be working with X11/X.Org aka an X11/xorg session.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

roastnetwork215

#6 Post by roastnetwork215 »

Oh, So the X11 runs well with Xorg? I can continue the steps
I have checked the Debian Wiki again and read the steps and I am confused with this section:
...In the Device section, modify the BusID with the Nvidia card’s bus id, which can be found with lspci | grep -i nvidia | awk '{print $1}' It should be converted into a simple decimal triplet, with leading zeros removed, and preceded with PCI, so 01:00.0 (for example) becomes "PCI:1:0:0". ...
I have run the lspci | grep -i nvidia | awk '{print $1}' and got this:

Code: Select all

01:00.0
01:00.1
What should I choose for NVIDIA Driver?
Last edited by roastnetwork215 on 2024-01-28 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

What was your reasoning for deciding that was the method to choose from the available list?

https://wiki.debian.org/NVIDIA%20Optimus

I don't have any experience of Nvidia or hybrid drivers, but from what I can see, the choice depends on hardware. Full output of lspci for your two cards would be a good start.

Hopefully this will catch the attention of members who do have knowledge of this subject.

roastnetwork215

#8 Post by roastnetwork215 »

@FreewheelinFrank When i first create this post, I just think it will be just easy to switch between gpu(s) as in other distros (Linux mint, i guess). I just switched my desktop environment to GNOME and found the easy-use for force-use the NVIDIA GPU on GNOME via GUI. Thanks for helping

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

roastnetwork215 wrote: 2024-03-16 11:51 @FreewheelinFrank When i first create this post, I just think it will be just easy to switch between gpu(s) as in other distros (Linux mint, i guess). I just switched my desktop environment to GNOME and found the easy-use for force-use the NVIDIA GPU on GNOME via GUI. Thanks for helping
You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know the solution you found.