Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] apt-get dist-upgrade broke my system

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
MrPontes

[Software] apt-get dist-upgrade broke my system

#1 Post by MrPontes »

I'm running the newest version of Debian and I was trying to install VLC but it required packages I didn't have, so I was told to run the command "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to install these packages.
It worked and I was able to install VLC. Later, when I restarted the computer, it took me to the login screen with my username selected. When I clicked my username and typed my password, it got stuck in the spinning wheel for about a minute and then it took me back to the same login screen like nothing happened. If I click my username again and type the password, the same thing happens.
I already tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 to make the terminal appear but nothing happend. I also tried with the other F keys but nothing happened. I'm trying to make the terminal appear so I can see if I can do something with the terminal that might help me fix this.
Any ideas on what do to?
Thank you

Uptorn

Re: [Software] apt-get dist-upgrade broke my system

#2 Post by Uptorn »

In order to investigate display server as a possible culprit, I would try passing "nomodeset" to the boot parameters in GRUB.

mrmazda

#3 Post by mrmazda »

Nomodeset is a workaround to troubleshoot with a minimally passable GUI when normal X is broken. It may have no value here with login failing. If from login screen Ctrl-Alt-F3 doesn't work either, try booting with space 3 appended to your Grub linu line as you would to append nomodeset. Proceeding to boot with that should present a login prompt on 6 vttys, though possibly not right away. If attempted login succeeds, you might try sudo apt-get --fix-broken install, in case your dist-upgrade left something incomplete or unconfigured, such as logind.

MrPontes

#4 Post by MrPontes »

I managed to log into the system using the security mode. The command apt-get --fix-broken install didn't do anything. I also checked the logs at /dev/log/boot.log but there were no errors there.
Now I think virtualbox might be causing this. When I shut down the computer, it displays a message saying it "couldn't start virtualbox.service - LSB".
I tried running modprobe vboxdrv but it said "Fatal: module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/6.6.13-amd64"
Last edited by MrPontes on 2024-01-29 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Now I'm confused. Is this a Debian VM in VBox, or an install of Debian Sid with VBox installed? Kernel 6.6.13-amd64 is only available in Sid and module build failures for new kernels are par for the course in Sid.

Moved topic to Testing and Unstable subforum.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!