Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Pipewire/ALSA] Can't adjust Master and Capture separately?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mrjpaxton

[Pipewire/ALSA] Can't adjust Master and Capture separately?

#1 Post by mrjpaxton »

Hey everyone,

I'm not extremely experienced with Linux audio, only a little bit, but I was wondering what could possibly cause this. Is this a bug, or is this expected behavior?

On my laptop, in alsamixer, when "Master" is adjusted, it gets adjusted independently of everything else, which is expected, but on my PC, whenever I try to adjust either "Master" or "Capture" in the Pipewire sound card selection, adjusting either one always adjusts the other one. And it also adjusts them *slightly* unevenly. So when I adjust them, the L/R audio channels, one or both channels will be slightly offset by volume levels like "44<>45" on one, and sometimes the other.

I feel like I have to attribute this to buggy sound drivers maybe. I can't remember if this ever happened with Pulseaudio, but it wouldn't be out of the question. Anybody have any possible idea what could be going on?

The sound card in question is the AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller, which gets detected by Pipewire as "HD-Audio Generic" on port default:1.

Motherboard is ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme, running Debian Stable (Bookworm) with Linux 6.1.0-17-amd64.

I haven't tested anything more yet by, for example, plugging in a 3.5mm jack microphone into the back. I don't have one of them right now, but maybe I can test that if necessary. I just use a USB-attached microphone instead for now.

Can provide more info if needed.