Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Evolution filter doesn't get carried out

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

[Solved] Evolution filter doesn't get carried out

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I know this isn't a question about Debian itself, but since it is an application in the specific Debain stable version I figure it might be sensible to ask here. Otherwise I fear I will just get the usual reply that I should use a more recent version than the one installed on Debian stable by default.

I do have set the following filter in Evolution but even after two restarts it doesn't do any filtering. And I can't think of a reason why it doesn't get applied. I still get the emails I wanted to move to the subfolder into my normal inbox. (I used the Evolution option "Description of filters" to generate this output.):

Filtername (enabled, for any account)
   If any of the following conditions are met
      CC is recipient@domain.com
      BCC is recipient@domain.com
      Recipients contains recipient@domain.com
   Then
      Move to Folder ACCOUNT/INBOX/filterfolder

I do have older filters moving messages to subfolders in my inbox with usually just one condition concerning a string in the subject line that work just fine. Does anyone of you have an idea what the issue might be or how I might be able to find out what is going wrong?
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2024-02-05 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

bin

Re: Evolution filter doesn't get carried out

#2 Post by bin »

From your description I guess that you are trying to filter the email so that any incoming email that contains a specific address other than your own in any of those fields will be filtered.
I have just done a quick test with cc and recipients and it all works as expected.
You cannot test for bcc on an incoming email.

Assuming you have another account you can use as a testing sender into your main account I suggest you start from scratch and just try one condition to start with - say Recipients contain and see what happens. Then try cc on its own then add both and go from there.

Evolution 3.46.4-2

Onsemeliot

Re: Evolution filter doesn't get carried out

#3 Post by Onsemeliot »

Thank you for your reply, bin. I actually started out with just one filter condition. I added the others because it didn't do anything. The whole thing is meant to filter out emails I receive from a web link to an email address that has pre-set content – including my address in BCC. (I set it up that way because I need to know how many mails got sent but I don't need to actually read them.)

If it is actually not possible to check if my address was included in BCC then this explains why the filter doesn't work. This makes sense. I need to find an other attribute I can filter for.