Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon VirtualBox Panel Icons

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
appye

Cinnamon VirtualBox Panel Icons

#1 Post by appye »

Hi there.

I am running Cinnamon 5.6.8 on Bookworm.

I recently upgraded to Bookworm and am experiencing what I believe to be a regression related to VirtualBox and the Grouped window list in the panel ... Before the upgrade I was running Bullseye, which has Cinnamon 4.8.6.

In Cinnamon 4.8.6 (and even the 3.x version before the grouped window list was included), I was able to create a shortcut to a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) that I would then pin to the panel. I can pin them to the panel in the new Cinnamon as well, but unlike with older versions, upon launching, this newer Cinnamon creates a new panel icon. It does not threat the pinned icon as an application, rather it treats it as a shortcut. Instead of being able to use the existing icon to minimize, activate and reactivate a running VM, similar to how the grouped window list acts with any regular app, I now have to interact with the new icon that is created upon launching the VM. I hope this makes sense?

I am pretty sure I have narrowed this down to Cinnamon itself. I have verified that this issue persists on a fresh install, so it is not related to leftover cruft and whatnot from the upgrade, and the version of Virtualbox is the same before and after the upgrade.

EDIT: Debian 11 is "BULLSEYE" ... not "Buster" ... I wish they didn't have three "Bs" in a row!

EDIT: I attached a bug report if it helps:
https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/12066