Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Forum] Verification emails not received - GMail

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Forum] Verification emails not received - GMail

#1 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

There is currently an issue with forum membership verification emails not being received to GMail email accounts.

This is due to a change made by GMail to its email guidelines in February 2024.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/811 ... ll-senders

The forum administration team is working on implementing the new requirements.

If you have tried to register at the forum recently with a GMail account, please accept our apologies. Other email providers are not affected. Please use an alternative email address if possible, or be patient until the issue is fixed.

For existing members with GMail accounts, new post notifications and other notifications from the forum to GMail accounts may also not be received until the new requirements are implemented.

reformedhatter

Re: [Forum] Verification emails not received - GMail

#2 Post by reformedhatter »

Thanks, for this. I remembered my details and have been able to login and read this.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by donald »

As of this post, we do not have any update.

AOL emails are going through it seems, however gmail, yahoo, and some proton emails are not being received. We will keep this thread open for updates.

If you have another email provider please use them to register.

Even if you or your company own your domain, you will need to check to see If you/company uses a service provider like gmail/yahoo... etc for email/dns/storage, if so your emails will not be received.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#4 Post by donald »

Proton mail confirmed working:
Inbox 8:04 PM Thursday, February 29th, 2024 at 8:04 PM
To: donaldtestaccount

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as
follows:
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#5 Post by donald »

To ease the burden here, if you have an email account serviced by one of the above, register your account and send an email to the forum. We can use that manner to validate some account activation.

Again: Register 1st, wait for the email, if it is not received using the email address you used to register send us an email and we can try to activate the account for you.
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#6 Post by donald »

Tuta mail confirmed working.
Date: Mar 4, 2024, 23:14
Subject: Welcome to "Debian User Forums"

Welcome to Debian User Forums forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as
follows:
Typo perfectionish.

friendlysalmon88

#7 Post by friendlysalmon88 »

I've had great success with using email addresses from SDf which is a Unix users group that I'm a member of that forward to a yahoo email address.

OGSelfHosting

#8 Post by OGSelfHosting »

I signed up today (sorry it took me so long!). My email went to spam in gmail. Not a biggie so maybe this is already a partial fix from Google? Maybe consider updating your post to say "you can also check spam.."? I simply clicked "not spam" in gmail so hopefully all my emails from forums are now cleared. THANK YOU.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

OGSelfHosting wrote: 2024-03-13 17:04 I signed up today (sorry it took me so long!). My email went to spam in gmail. Not a biggie so maybe this is already a partial fix from Google? Maybe consider updating your post to say "you can also check spam.."? I simply clicked "not spam" in gmail so hopefully all my emails from forums are now cleared. THANK YOU.
Thanks for letting us know. Potentially good news.
I'm sceptical as to whether clicking "not spam" once will prevent further emails from going to spam though. Gmail is weird like that.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Enigma83

#10 Post by Enigma83 »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2024-02-07 06:25 There is currently an issue with forum membership verification emails not being received to GMail email accounts.

This is due to a change made by GMail to its email guidelines in February 2024.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/811 ... ll-senders

The forum administration team is working on implementing the new requirements.

If you have tried to register at the forum recently with a GMail account, please accept our apologies. Other email providers are not affected. Please use an alternative email address if possible, or be patient until the issue is fixed.

For existing members with GMail accounts, new post notifications and other notifications from the forum to GMail accounts may also not be received until the new requirements are implemented.
This new requirement by Google might explain why it took a few hrs before I received the activation email when I registered. But it was only a case of delayed, rather than not received at all. I registered in January 2024, whereas the policy took effect the month after, so maybe it was just coincidence.

Edit: it looks like I'm receiving emailed forum notifications just fine (Gmail), although they're a bit delayed. Maybe Google's servers are holding back certain emails until their automated system has reviewed them?

donald

#11 Post by donald »

We have been given a slight solution to these issues and implement them in place within the next few days.
Typo perfectionish.