Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

update screwed

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Dai_trying

Re: update screwed

#21 Post by Dai_trying »

Problem solved

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#22 Post by Fossy »

Borg wrote: 2024-02-16 23:08 @Rita G.
Please do NOT follow what @Fossy .... said, it is wrong.

Fossy's suggestion to use the Nouveau drivers instead of the much better NVidia drivers will result into an unstable system whose desktop constantly crashes and whose 3D performance is slow. His proposal is based on ideology, not technical usability.
Pure poppycock , Until now I have always used nouveau drivers without any problems.
Based on ideologie ? ...Nope , simply out of legal self-defense considerations against mafia practices.
Edit :
You apparently have not noticed that only those who use Nvidea drivers have gotten into trouble, have you received any reports/complaints from nouveau driver users?
Last edited by Fossy on 2024-02-17 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

<snip>

Edit: Quote removed so I don't preserve the formatting.

There is no need to inflame this topic. Please remove the red formatting from your quote.

Borg

#24 Post by Borg »

Fossy wrote: 2024-02-17 11:31 Pure poppycock , Until now I have always used nouveau drivers without any problems.
Based on ideologie ? ...Nope , simply out of legal self-defense considerations against mafia practices.
Sure.

Let me summarize that for you:
Fossy: I use Nouveau drivers simply out of legal self-defense considerations against mafia practices.
Also Fossy: (Buys an Nvidia card.)
Edit :
You apparently have not noticed that only those who use Nvidea drivers have gotten into trouble, have you received any reports/complaints from nouveau driver users?
I have enough experience with Nouveau drivers on my Geforce 4, Geforce 6600 Go and Geforce 550 GTX and in all three cases it regularly resulted in an unusable desktop where you can no longer see anything except the entire screen as a single graphic error. And by the way, the power saving modes don't work either with Nouveau if the GPU supports it. I haven't even mentioned the significantly worse 3D performance.

For this reason, I always use the proprietary driver for my NVidia cards as long as the proprietary driver is supported as a package by the distribution. And now comes the relevant info here related to this topic: I would never advise a user with a modern NVidia card to use the Nouveau driver, especially not because of a minor compiling error that is fixed in a week. Especially since he has a still functioning system for which he would only have to boot the older kernel.

And now imagine the scenario with the graphical error across the entire screen because of your advice to install the Nouveau drivers for a user who is a beginner in Linux and is lost without a graphical interface.
Do you seriously advise someone like that to have an open heart surgery, to replace a working driver (if he boots the older kernel) with a completely different driver, which will most likely lead to a desktop that is no longer usable and without it he will be lost and no longer able to help himself, expect maybe reinstalling the complete Linux Distribution? Seriously?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#25 Post by steve_v »

Borg wrote: 2024-02-17 21:33lost without a graphical interface... open heart surgery, to replace a working driver... will be lost and no longer able to help himself, expect maybe reinstalling
If said user is going to help themselves in future (and move from "non-contributing timesink" to "source of help for other new users" around here), sooner or later they're going to have to learn how to install drivers and survive at least a short while with a CLI...
There's no time like the present to teach the proverbial man to fish.

Also, switching GPU drivers ~= open heart surgery is about the most ludicrous thing I have heard all week. Congratulations. :roll:
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Borg

#26 Post by Borg »

steve_v wrote: 2024-02-17 22:10
Borg wrote: 2024-02-17 21:33lost without a graphical interface... open heart surgery, to replace a working driver... will be lost and no longer able to help himself, expect maybe reinstalling
If said user is going to help themselves in future (and move from "non-contributing timesink" to "source of help for other new users" around here), sooner or later they're going to have to learn how to install drivers and survive at least a short while with a CLI...
Your assumption that everyone wants to become an expert with computers is just as wrong as the assumption that everyone who drives a car wants to be able to repair their own brakes and change the engine.
And the fact that you call these people “non-contributing timesink” speaks against you. Why are you even here and participating in threads like this? Are you being forced to do this?

Tip:
If I want to save time, then I give timesink a wide berth. You could do that too.
Also, switching GPU drivers ~= open heart surgery is about the most ludicrous thing I have heard all week. Congratulations. :roll:
So if you can't win on an argumentative level, then you flame?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#27 Post by steve_v »

Nah, think I'll just take Dai's option.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

I think this topic is just about done. Could we put a fork in it?

huemob

#29 Post by huemob »

Borg wrote: 2024-02-16 23:08 @Rita G.

Please do NOT follow what @Fossy and @M22 said, it is wrong.

Fossy's suggestion to use the Nouveau drivers instead of the much better NVidia drivers will result into an unstable system whose desktop constantly crashes and whose 3D performance is slow. His proposal is based on ideology, not technical usability.

M22's suggestion of adding the proposed-updates in /etc/apt/source.list file is only for experiences users that know what they are doing and it is only a short term workaround. It is not for the normal user. So don't follow his suggestion either.

As a simple user, you don't have to do anything in such cases except select and boot the older kernel in Grub via the Grub menu when booting and then wait until Debian stable is updated by the Debian maintainers. That's the only sensible suggestion.
And then you just have to wait until the packages are updated and the problem is fixed in Debian stable.
This happened today.

As of today there is a newer version of the nvidia-graphics-drivers package in Debian stable in the bookworm-updates repository.
bookworm-updates is NOT the same as bookworm-proposed-updates.

Just make sure that your /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following entry and this is usually the case for a normal Debian installation with the non-free packages enabled:

Code: Select all

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
Thus you have to do nothing, except updating your system.

With this update to the nvidia-graphics-drivers package to version 525.147.05-7~deb12u1, the new 6.1.0-18-amd64 kernel can be built easily without errors and the system can then boot without errors.
Thus to make it short, the problem is now solved.

I am running here my system with nvidia-graphics-drivers version 525.147.05-7~deb12u1 and linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 and a NVidia video card. I was just using the old kernel until the Debian maintainers solved the problem in the repository and that was today.
this did not work for me. I have the newer version nvidia (525.147.05-7~deb12u1) and running on linux-image-6.1.0-17-amd64. For apt update I get all packages up to date and for apt upgrade I get 4 not fully installed packages:
linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64
linux-headers-amd64
linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64
linux-image-amd64

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
4 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Setting up linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 (6.1.76-1) ...
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms:
dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 6.1.0-18-amd64.
Sign command: /usr/lib/linux-kbuild-6.1/scripts/sign-file
Signing key: /var/lib/dkms/mok.key
Public certificate (MOK): /var/lib/dkms/mok.pub

Building module:
Cleaning build area...
'make' all KVER=6.1.0-18-amd64.........(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/88x2bu/1.1/build/make.log for more information.
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 failed!
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 (--configure):
 installed linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Setting up linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64 (6.1.76-1) ...
/etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms:
dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 6.1.0-18-amd64.
Sign command: /usr/lib/linux-kbuild-6.1/scripts/sign-file
Signing key: /var/lib/dkms/mok.key
Public certificate (MOK): /var/lib/dkms/mok.pub

Building module:
Cleaning build area...
'make' all KVER=6.1.0-18-amd64.........(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/88x2bu/1.1/build/make.log for more information.
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 failed!
run-parts: /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
Failed to process /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64.postinst line 11.
dpkg: error processing package linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64 (--configure):
 installed linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-amd64:
 linux-image-amd64 depends on linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 (= 6.1.76-1); however:
  Package linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-headers-amd64:
 linux-headers-amd64 depends on linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64 (= 6.1.76-1); however:
  Package linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-headers-amd64 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64
 linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64
 linux-image-amd64
 linux-headers-amd64
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
ive tried apt-get -f install, apt full-upgrade, dpkg --configure linux-..., dpkg -C, apt purge "*nvidia*", apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree nothing works

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
deb-src https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
ive had both of those in my sources already. What am I doing wrong? Would really like to get this working.
Last edited by huemob on 2024-02-23 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#30 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

huemob wrote: 2024-02-20 00:08
ive had both of those in my sources already. What am I doing wrong? Would really like to get this working.
Welcome to the forum!

As this seems to be a separate issue - an update that should now be working rather than a update prevented by a known bug - please start a new topic for the issue.

Terminal output should be in code tags also please. Select output and hit the </> button.

huemob

#31 Post by huemob »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2024-02-20 05:53
huemob wrote: 2024-02-20 00:08
Welcome to the forum!

As this seems to be a separate issue - an update that should now be working rather than a update prevented by a known bug - please start a new topic for the issue.

Terminal output should be in code tags also please. Select output and hit the </> button.
Thanks yeah this was my first post so i figured id do something wrong. Ill try doing a new topic for it.