Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wanted: list of compatible hardware

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Detah

Wanted: list of compatible hardware

#1 Post by Detah »

I am looking for a list of compatible hardware for Debian 12.x. Or a list of known incompatible hardware. Both lists would be ideal.
I am building a new machine and it would be helpful for selecting parts.

Thanks.
-Detah

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wanted: list of compatible hardware

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

You can search here [1] for computers or computer parts and their reported compatibility: note that this site is not part of the Debian project.

You can also search the Debian Wiki or this forum, but neither can be considered exhaustive.

--
[1] https://linux-hardware.org/
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Borg

#3 Post by Borg »

Detah wrote: 2024-02-17 03:15 I am looking for a list of compatible hardware for Debian 12.x. Or a list of known incompatible hardware. Both lists would be ideal.
I am building a new machine and it would be helpful for selecting parts.

Thanks.
-Detah
If the linux compatibilty is unknown, the best way is to download the Windows drivers from the manufacturer's website before purchasing the hardware, then unzip them and then view the *.inf file with an editor.
CAB files can be unpacked using the tools from the packages cabetraxt, unar and 7zip.
This INF file then contains the PCI ID or USB ID (if it is a USB device) of the device.

Then you download or install the linux kernel sources of the Debian distribution you are using and unpack them.

Once this is done, use the PCI ID or USB ID found and search for it in the kernel source code files using tools like grep with the recursive option (-r) turned on .
The PCI ID and USB ID in combination with a search in the kernel sources allow conclusions to be drawn about what kind of chipset the hardware is using.
If something was found, then you already know whether the device is known to the kernel and whether there is driver support for it and what the name of the linux driver (module) is.
However, it is also possible that the driver is still experimental or just a stub. A closer look at the corresponding source file and its comments or a query in the Linux user kernel mailing list can help.

Another option is to download a brand new kernel and then take a look in its sources. If you can only find what you are looking for there, then it makes sense to use Debian SID or testing instead of Debian stable.

If no entry for the PCI or USB ID can be found in the kernel sources, than it is very likely that the device is not supported in Linux.

EDIT:
One more thing. Keep in mind, that the order of the PCI ID or USB ID format can be different in the Windows driver INF file and Linux sources. It may therefore be necessary to put the ID in the correct form. Unfortunately I don't know this off the top of my head, but a comparison with the ID that is in the INF file and an output from lspci or lsusb should be enough.

Detah

#4 Post by Detah »

Great suggestions. Thank you both.
-Thomas

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

Hello.

You can check this Debian wiki entry.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

All those lisst tend to be quite old. The method I use, when needing new hw, I do a net search, and if suitable is found, another net search: model of the device + linux