Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia Drivers - Debian 12.5 - Error: GPL-incompatible module

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ryanz

Nvidia Drivers - Debian 12.5 - Error: GPL-incompatible module

#1 Post by ryanz »

Hi everyone,

I searched this group and found one similar error post all the way back in 2007 but because that was a different era I post this one in the hope the users will be able to help me solve the problem.

Running the latest fresh install of Debian 12.5 with Kernel 6.1.0-18-amd64.
My laptop has a Nvidia 230MX GPU installed.

I've tried a few things but just can't get Nvidia drivers to fully work.
I disabled the nouveau drivers with a blacklist and grub edits and the system boots into both GUI and T without errors.

In one scenario, running automated installation using apt with non-free-firmware and contrib added I get nvidia-drivers installed and can see the Nvidia-Settings in the desktop but there is no Prime Profile and when tested with a 3D render the GPU sat at 0% usage.

The other option was to try again, both with a apt purge *nvidia* and fresh install (just to be sure there wasn't anything broken) by using the downloaded Nvidia 230MX Driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.154.05.run)

With the second option the Nvidia diver installation screen runs to 98% then fails on errors.
The logs show this (snip):

======
-> Checking to see whether the nvidia kernel module was successfully built
executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/6.1.0-18-amd64/source" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/6.1.0-18-amd64/build" NV_KERNEL_MODULES="nvidia"'...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common'
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64'
MODPOST /tmp/selfgz888/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.154.05/kernel/Module.symvers
ERROR: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol '__rcu_read_lock'
ERROR: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol '__rcu_read_unlock'
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common/scripts/Makefile.modpost:126: /tmp/selfgz888/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.154.05/kernel/Module.symvers] Error 1
make[3]: Target '__modpost' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common/Makefile:1991: modpost] Error 2
make[2]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:250: __sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common'
make: *** [Makefile:82: modules] Error 2
-> Error.
ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Checking to see whether the nvidia kernel module was successfully built". See /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details.
-> The command `cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make -k -j8 NV_EXCLUDE_KERNEL_MODULES="" SYSSRC="/lib/modules/6.1.0-18-amd64/source" SYSOUT="/lib/modules/6.1.0-18-amd64/build" NV_KERNEL_MODULES="nvidia"` failed with the following output:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common'
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64'
MODPOST /tmp/selfgz888/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.154.05/kernel/Module.symvers
ERROR: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol '__rcu_read_lock'
ERROR: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol '__rcu_read_unlock'
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common/scripts/Makefile.modpost:126: /tmp/selfgz888/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-535.154.05/kernel/Module.symvers] Error 1
make[3]: Target '__modpost' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common/Makefile:1991: modpost] Error 2
make[2]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-amd64'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:250: __sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Target 'modules' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.1.0-18-common'
make: *** [Makefile:82: modules] Error 2
ERROR: The nvidia kernel module was not created.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
===

Can anyone please give some advice on either of these two issues so I can get this working?

Thanks.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: Nvidia Drivers - Debian 12.5 - Error: GPL-incompatible module

#2 Post by donald »

-Admin note: There are what seem to be 20 threads on this topic, I'm letting this one go through because at least it starts technical and no one is arguing in it. :)

@ryanz Did you recently update? Ensure that contrib and non-free are available in your sources list.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

ryanz

#3 Post by ryanz »

Thanks Admin. I see I searched only in the Graphical Section, not full forum :-)

Yes, I'm fully updated with contrib and non-free are available in the sources list.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

"ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com."

I was wondering if the Op actually looked at the log mentioned then read the README and went to the site. If not, seems like a good place to start.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

donald

#5 Post by donald »

@ryanz
viewtopic.php?t=158200
and
viewtopic.php?p=792711
and
viewtopic.php?t=158261

Are of the same vein as your issue.

Would you mind if I closed this thread and you look in those instead?
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

ryanz

#6 Post by ryanz »

Thanks for these links, will look there. You can close.