Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] OS-Prober default and 2 OS install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
JeSuisFlaneur

[Solved] OS-Prober default and 2 OS install

#1 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

1 T ssd partitioned with Win10 and Mint. About 1/2 for each OS. I want to wipe the Mint partition and install Debain. I don't want to harm the Win10 partition.

Using the LiveUSB graphical installer, I'll tell it to use /sda5 (where is Mint) for Debian. In another post at this forum, in reply to another question, I was told that os-prober is not configured to "on" during the install. Please point me to a URL/How-To on what do do to update the GRUB to turn the os-prober to "on", so that GRUB finds both Debian and Win10. All I've found is what to do after GRUB fails to find all OS.

Thank you.
Last edited by JeSuisFlaneur on 2024-02-20 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

mrmazda

Re: OS-Prober default and 2 OS install

#2 Post by mrmazda »

On the installed system, /etc/default/grub needs to not include the line GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true" uncommented. You need it to be there uncommented and false. Beginning the next time the Grub menu is regenerated after that change is made, Windows will be included in Grub's menu.