Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

minimize maximize and close icons too small

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
MikeLieberman

minimize maximize and close icons too small

#1 Post by MikeLieberman »

This may well be the most embarrassing and dumbest question I have asked in a long time, but never the less...

I am using MATE on Debian 12 with a NVidia GT-730. I have played with all the settings but to no avail.

The minimize, maximize and close icons are too small and getting the mouse over the exact location to gain focus is frustratingly more challenging than I think it should be.

This is what I see. Is there any way to enlarge the icons and and the related area that responds to its focus?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: minimize maximize and close icons too small

#2 Post by CwF »

No idea about MATE but this is a 'window manager' theme question. Whatever widget adjust this theme should have regular, hidpi, fancy, bigger, biggest, choices.

MikeLieberman

#3 Post by MikeLieberman »

Thanks, @CwF

I have tried that and I can change the themes, again. (I had tried this before.)
I found a Window them that worked mostly.

It's a partial fix. Changing the Theme fixed all except for the browser. I changed a settings on the browsers I am using and the main control icons are now larger. The only issue is the close icon on the tabs. Unfortunately, the tabs are not as well delineated. :-( To see the tabs well, the browsers give me the crappy icons.

Lew_Rockwell_Fan

#4 Post by Lew_Rockwell_Fan »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2024-02-21 00:59except for the browser
You might be more specific. Web browser? Graphical file browser? Something else? What program EXACTLY? Firefox, for example, is a cantankerous [@!%4-cussin'_filter] about stuff like this and so are some gnome programs. If it's Firefox, you might be able to tweak it with local css code. You could try searching something like "firefox ui css" and you might come up with something useful.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

Maybe it would be time to get glasses. :)

MikeLieberman

#6 Post by MikeLieberman »

Yeah, have them... no help. And getting the mouse at exactly the right spot to grab focus is a pain. Just a twitch loses focus.

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

Are you using nouveau or nvidia? I'd suggest also trying live images, if it seems same, or some other DE that would seem at least tolerable.

EDIT; is it a mouse or a touchpad?