Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I get a "device descriptor read/64, error -62" message when plugging my wireless USB adapter.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
mbr57

I get a "device descriptor read/64, error -62" message when plugging my wireless USB adapter.

#1 Post by mbr57 »

Hello.

I have a TP-LINK TL-WN823N USB wireless adapter and I have installed its driver. But when I plug it into a USB port of my computer, the following error message is often displayed on the terminal:
[...] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 27, error -62
[...] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -62
[...] usb 2-4: device descriptor read/64, error -62
[...] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 29, error -62
[...] usb 2-4: device not accepting address 30, error -62
[...] usb usb2-port4: unable to enumerate USB device
(... denotes some numbers)
And the USB key isn't detected afterwards (I checked lsusb).

This message can either be displayed directly after I plug the key or after some time. However, when it works, the USB key is correctly detected and the WiFi works fine.

Furthermore, I noticed that there is normally a blinking green light in the key. It indeed lighted up when I tried to plug it into another computer's port. Yet I do not think it is a hardware issue since even back in the day, when I had a Windows operating system (before I switched to Debian), the key's light blinked as expected. Before the error message, everything works even though the light is not turned on.

I tried each USB port, even those at the back of the central unit, but nothing changes.

I also tried this: https://paulphilippov.com/articles/how- ... ress-error
I unplugged everything (even the keyboard and the mouse), shut the computer down, unplugged it, waited for some time, replugged the computer, powered it, replugged all the USB stuff, yet the error still eventually appears...

What should I do to fix that ?

My computer : Aspire M1610
My WiFi USB adapter : TP-LINK TL-WN823N v2/v3
The driver I use : https://github.com/clnhub/rtl8192eu-linux (installed with the command ./install_wifi.sh)

pbear

Re: I get a "device descriptor read/64, error -62" message when plugging my wireless USB adapter.

#2 Post by pbear »

Everything you've described says hardware failure, very nearly clinched by "the error still eventually appears" (suggests overheating). Question is whether the problem is the computer or the adapter. If you can get the adapter to work on another computer, that pretty much lets it off the hook. And/or try running another adapter on this computer. Having a spare adapter is a good idea anyway. FWIW, I've gotten tired of the Realtek compatibility issues and plan to get a Panda adapter, which gets (mostly) good reviews and reportedly works out-of-the-box (i.e., supported by the kernel). Haven't gotten one yet, though, so can't vouch for it personally.