Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] ACPI Error message

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
WyRd_MonSteroids

[Hardware] ACPI Error message

#1 Post by WyRd_MonSteroids »

Hello, I'm new to Linux and I just installed Debian 12 like 2 weeks ago.
I've been getting this error every time I power on my laptop, can I fix this or what's going on?
My laptop seems to be working fine, it just bothers me to see an error message every time I start my laptop.

The error:

Code: Select all

0.257219] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP4.WLAN], AE_NOT_FOUND (20220331/dswload-162)
0.257228] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20220331/psobject-220)
0.874056] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_TZ.THRM._SCP.CTYPE1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20220331/psargs-330)
0.874064] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_TZ.THRM._SCP due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20220331/psparse-529)
UPDATE:
I checked for a BIOS update and there is none available for my laptop, I'm currently running the latest version.
Is there maybe no need to worry about this if everything is working?

NorthEast

Re: [Hardware] ACPI Error message

#2 Post by NorthEast »

ACPI error messages are common in linux. The reason is that the linux kernel
follows the industry's open specification for the implementation of ACPI standards,
but the manufacturers of BIOS/UEFI don't always do that, rather they often issue
their wares with "stuff" that works. There's quite a bit of info on this issue online, e.g.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... s-the-deal
In the kernel docs, one finds comments such as:
"Complain to your platform/BIOS vendor if you find a bug which is so severe that
a workaround is not accepted in the Linux kernel."
So all in all, if the machine works as intended, the ACPI error messages can be
ignored and perhaps just be regarded as sending messages to non-compliant manufacturers,
who don't appear to be taking much heed of the matter at present.