Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mailing lists for newcomers/non-techies

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
alienspy

Mailing lists for newcomers/non-techies

#1 Post by alienspy »

Hello! After the problem with Debian 12.5 update and nvidia proprietary drivers i started to look for detailed release notes, but all i have found on the web is this - https://www.debian.org/News/2024/20240210, and there are no warnings about possible problems. @donald advised to subscribe to a mailing lists (viewtopic.php?p=792978#p792978), in particular:
  • "debian-backports:
    debian-kde:
    debian-security: ( a must. It is high volume though)
    debian-accessibility: Making Debian more accessible to people with disabilities
    debian-ai: Debian's Machine Learning & Hardware Acceleration
    debian-boot: Developing the installation system
    debian-devel: Development of Debian ( a must)
    debian-mentors: Helping newbie developers"
Out of curiosity i have suscribed to a large number of mailing lists in order to figure out later, which are relevant for me. They are
  • debian-announce
    debian-backports
    debian-backports-announce
    debian-bugs-dist
    debian-desktop
    debian-devel
    debian-devel-announce
    debian-gtk-gnome
    debian-kernel
    debian-lts-announce
    debian-news
    debian-security
    debian-security-announce
    debian-stable-announce
    debian-user

But during the last few days after subscription i have received mail only for debian-user and bugs-dist, (and i checked spam). I don't know why there is nothing from other mailing lists, are they so rarely updated? I have checked my subscription with which email. By the way online form for subscriptions doesn't work for me on any browser, had to do it manually through request mails.

bugs-dist
mailing list is very overwhelming and very difficult to to understand. For example "I've found the SEGV issue with 13.1.1+dfsg-1 on armhf. With patched abi=+time64 version 13.1.1+dfsg-1.2 in experimental, the
issue was resolved." is pure "chinese" for me.

What mailing lists should i use to keep track of important bugs? Can i use debian-user for help with some issues, in a manner people do on this forum? Is it normal that other mailing lists, not debian-user and bugs-dist, so rarely used?

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mailing lists for newcomers/non-techies

#2 Post by wizard10000 »

alienspy wrote: 2024-02-20 14:52...But during the last few days after subscription i have received mail only for debian-user and bugs-dist, (and i checked spam).
There appears to be an issue with some Debian mailing lists right now - I've been trying to subscribe to debian-devel for several days.

JMO but if you want to subscribe to only one list my vote goes to debian-devel. When I'm subscribed to the list I just use a mail rule to dump all the listmail to a folder and then browse subject lines to see if there's anything I need to know - but as you mentioned, one or more of the lists is currently broken.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#3 Post by bbbhltz »

The online form does work, but it is very spotty. Less than sometimes.
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

Shamak

#4 Post by Shamak »

alienspy wrote: 2024-02-20 14:52 Hello! After the problem with Debian 12.5 update and nvidia proprietary drivers i started to look for detailed release notes, but all i have found on the web is this - https://www.debian.org/News/2024/20240210, and there are no warnings about possible problems.
Can anyone verify that these are the 12.5 release notes that donald was talking about?

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#5 Post by bbbhltz »

News like https://www.debian.org/News/2024/20240210 are more like press releases, major releases get detailed, per architecture treatment here https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/

Following and keeping track of so many packages is why we should thank maintainers more often.

Looking under the hood to see the back and forth for the Nvidia problem, which looks to have been noted on the 4th of February, is a neverending scroll https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... ug=1062932 (click that Toggle useless messages link)
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

Shamak

#6 Post by Shamak »

Ok thanks!