Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lightweight Window Manager with largest library of shell extensions?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mekineer

Lightweight Window Manager with largest library of shell extensions?

#1 Post by mekineer »

I used a lot of shell extensions in Windows and windows file explorer. I'm trying to choose a linux distro, and want something barebones that I can customize. I used CrunchBang many years ago. Is there a lightweight window manager / desktop environment that I can add functionality to from a large library of extensions?

Is there a better forum to ask this question?

LinuxOS

Re: Lightweight Window Manager with largest library of shell extensions?

#2 Post by LinuxOS »

Maybe CTWM
To install in from terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ctwm

Lew_Rockwell_Fan

#4 Post by Lew_Rockwell_Fan »

mekineer wrote: 2024-02-22 05:44. . . lightweight window manager / desktop environment that I can add functionality to . . .
Openbox is great. It is extremely flexible for people who want to tinker. I've run OB only with no further DE under a variety of distros for many years. It's elegantly minimalist and you can make it do anything but make coffee. Only caveat is that, last I checked, maybe a couple of months ago, the mailing list wasn't working, and there is no Openbox forum AFAIK. There is, or at least used to be, and I presume still is, an LXDE forum where there is a fair amount of Openbox discussion.

mekineer

#5 Post by mekineer »

Link to the research report on my wiki site. I may continue adding to it.
https://mekineer.com/information-techno ... nvironment