Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop frozen after changing monitors

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
iums1

Desktop frozen after changing monitors

#1 Post by iums1 »

Hello,

I use Debian 12 with Xfce4 on a notebook which I connect to different monitors, a 1440p hdmi monitor at home and an older full hd monitor at work which I connect to via an hdmi to vga cable.
I reconnected to my monitor at home and noticed that my desktop was frozen and distorted. I cannot right click and access the menu for example.

I used the backup tool timeshift to restore my system to an earlier state but that didn't help. I also renamed the ~/.config/xfce4 folder to have a fresh xfce4 configuration but that also did not help. I would like to hear your expertise on this issue.

arzgi

Re: Desktop frozen after changing monitors

#2 Post by arzgi »

VGA is not hot-pluggable, that may have caused the freeze*. Maybe search the logs, use journalctl. If you don't want to read journalctl's man-page, -r is reverse, other options, don't remember, I use man pages :mrgreen:

* If you really did that (hot plug vga) it may have burned something, try live-image: https://www.debian.org/CD/live/

EDITED: contradictory sentence removed.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Typically VGA is hot-pluggable. I've only done it hundreds of times. If this is a laptop with adapters it is likely a stable voltage/ground loop issue particular to the configuration.

mrmazda

#4 Post by mrmazda »

Given the monitor at work is ostensibly "full HD", it's a given that originally at least it supported HDMI connectivity. Why not use HDMI-to-HDMI cable at work? Digital connections are more reliable, and usually produce higher quality imaging.

With your existing cabling, try logging out at work and shutting down before taking it home, and when starting up at home, connecting and powering up the external display prior to notebook power-up.

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

CwF wrote: 2024-03-01 16:05 Typically VGA is hot-pluggable. I've only done it hundreds of times. If this is a laptop with adapters it is likely a stable voltage/ground loop issue particular to the configuration.
If it works for you, I still would not recommend it to others, VGA standard don't have any hints of hot-plugging, depends off circuits and buffers.