Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Noob question: How to keep a debian system organized for a long period of time

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
walter_bleach

[Software] Noob question: How to keep a debian system organized for a long period of time

#1 Post by walter_bleach »

Hi, I'm migrating from arch to debian, I just want to know techniques and rules that I can use to keep a stable and clean debian system for years to come. I install a lot of applications and they all clutter up the system which is not ideal. How should I organize these applications and their configs

mrmazda

Re: [Software] Noob question: How to keep a debian system organized for a long period of time

#2 Post by mrmazda »

Debian's package management system, like the systems of many other distros, provides all the software most users need. In these environments, the package management system organizes its way, disallowing any admin involvement in locations. Software from other sources one normally installs according to whatever directions accompany it. If you want to avoid clutter, you put such software somewhere in your homedir, or the admin puts it in a subdirectory in either /usr/local/, or in /opt/. The apps decide where their configs go. Most global configs have traditionally gone in /etc/, while user configs go either in a hidden file in the homedir, or with younger and better designed apps, in a subdirectory in the homedir's .config/ directory. Firefox settings by default live in the homedir's .mozilla/ subdirectory, but may be located anywhere the user has write access.