Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] [Solved] Disable Administrator Password For Downloading Software In Software Store

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
VPW23

[Discussion] [Solved] Disable Administrator Password For Downloading Software In Software Store

#1 Post by VPW23 »

Hi,

I was able to disable password requirements for logging in and when I run sudo.

However, when I go to the software store I can’t download any software without being asked for an “Administrator Password”. How do I disable that?

I entered my Debian password that I created when I installed Debian some time ago but it didn’t work.

:linked:
Last edited by VPW23 on 2024-03-12 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Disable Administrator Password For Downloading Software In Software Store

#2 Post by CwF »

I don't use a 'software store' but assume it uses polkit?

viewtopic.php?p=794907#p794907

The rule I gave there is like your sudo rule, all rights always no password, use wisely.

VPW23

Re: [Discussion] Disable Administrator Password For Downloading Software In Software Store

#3 Post by VPW23 »

@CwF

The app is called "Software" by The GNOME project. Software by The GNOME Project

I looked for a FAQ page for my issue and couldn't find it.

I don't think it uses polkit because I searched for it in the command line using the dpkg --list command and I get this message "dpkg-query: no packages found matching polkit".

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#4 Post by fabien »

Code: Select all

$> dpkg --no-pager --list "polkit"
dpkg-query: no packages found matching polkit

$> dpkg --no-pager --list "polkit*"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                Version      Architecture Description
+++-===================-============-============-=============================================================
un  polkit-1-auth-agent <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  polkitd             122-3        amd64        framework for managing administrative policies and privileges
un  polkitd-javascript  <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  polkitd-pkla        122-3        amd64        Legacy "local authority" (.pkla) backend for polkitd

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

There is an old reference, ancient...yet in current documentation...
better security than Add/Remove Applications (i.e. use of PolicyKit instead of gksudo)
I think this software uses authentication midway within the program and not at start. The typical use would be "pkexec something". "Polkit" is not referenced. Sometime a custom executable is used, like synaptic-pkexec. Anyway what to find is the programs rule file in "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/". Or simply ask with "pkaction" which will return all the possible things that will prompt for a password.

That's all academic. You can find the name of the action, make a rule for that one action - or just grant permission for all polkit/pkexec actions.

I'm pretty sure a current default gnome DE install has polkit setup correctly otherwise you wouldn't even get the dialog for a password.

When you create a polkit rule it is active immediately. If you have a sudo group simple use "sudo" as the username in what I posted above and you're done.

I edited above to not at start, as in the program is not running as root. This is polkit power, grant the rights for s single action - not he whole shebang.
Also, I got curious... I purged sudo and the group is not removed, so it would be a safe group. Unless you manual remove the group...

VPW23

#6 Post by VPW23 »

@CwF

When I try to enter the rules.d folder via the GUI I get the exact same screen asking for an Administrator password as if I was trying to install an app via "Software".

So because of this, I cannot perform certain tasks because I don't have an Administrator password. I wouldn't mind creating one but I don't want to if it means I start getting asked again for a root password while running a sudo command.

I also get it when I try to change the User Account settings via the GUI.

Disabling the root password doesn't apply to disabling the Administrator GUI password.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

Yes, there is a chicken-n-egg issue. The file needs to be created as root. For Xfce's this is an easy thing, I'd be interested to hear the gnome way to do this. If you have sudo, or with 'su -', you could use 'nano' or maybe gnome sets up 'edit'. There is likely a systemctl way to do this too! Too many ways I agree...
VPW23 wrote: 2024-03-10 22:58 Disabling the root password doesn't apply to disabling the Administrator GUI password.
Did you set up the machine? Without root I thought sudo, and 'administrator' password are the same user password.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

VPW23 wrote: 2024-03-10 22:58Disabling the root password doesn't apply to disabling the Administrator GUI password.
What do you mean by "Administrator GUI password"? Presumably sudo password? You can set up sudo to not require a password for some or all commands. Whether that helps for Gnome software thingy I don't know, I don't use Gnome. pkexec would likely be the best option to enable that.

I consider it a good requirement to ask for a password before installing software. Maybe not so much if no-one else has access to your machine, but then there's always a chance of hacking via the internet and no password would make it simple to pwn you.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

VPW23

#9 Post by VPW23 »

@CwF

Yes, I installed Debian myself on my custom build desktop. I can run sudo commands in the command prompt without it asking for my password. But when I try to do something that requires permission with graphical applications and not the command line it asks for an "Administrator" password.

I originally wanted to post a picture of my problem but it didn't allow me because the file size was too large so I can only describe it.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

VPW23 wrote: 2024-03-11 01:37 I can only describe it.
for me, words are better!

I'd still like to hear from the gnome users...

As stated, I can't test a sudo method, but...

$ sudo nano /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/42-user.rules
assuming nano is installed, then copy in - nano can paste!

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (subject.isInGroup("sudo")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});
I did run through it using su -

$ su -
That uses the 'root' password if you have a root account.
Again, if not root account then I thought it was the original sudo user password.

pbear

#11 Post by pbear »

CwF wrote: 2024-03-11 02:59 I'd still like to hear from the gnome users...
Can confirm the described procedure works with Gnome and Cinnamon (both D12/Bookworm).
Took effect immediately, i.e., no need to logout or reboot.
Also works with KDE (bookworm), MX-23 and LMDE6 (the latter two based on bookworm).

VPW23

#12 Post by VPW23 »

@CwF

It didn't work. I am still being asked for an Administrator password for anything I do via GUI.

To clarify, I can run sudo commands without providing a password even before I copy and pasted the code provided.

dlu2021

#13 Post by dlu2021 »

pbear wrote: 2024-03-11 04:10 Can confirm the described procedure works with Gnome and Cinnamon (both D12/Bookworm).
Took effect immediately, i.e., no need to logout or reboot.
Also works with KDE (bookworm), MX-23 and LMDE6 (the latter two based on bookworm).
@pbear when you did your testing did you remove the login password as well, maybe that is the difference?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by CwF »

dlu2021 wrote: 2024-03-11 15:10 @pbear when you did your testing did you remove the login password as well, maybe that is the difference?
This could be an issue. Is it meant user login password or administrator password, or is it no root password?
Login without a user password does not matter, I assume this may be an issue of no root password. If so we can establish a root password with sudo.
VPW23 wrote: 2024-03-11 14:38 To clarify, I can run sudo commands without providing a password even before I copy and pasted the code provided.
I'm more suspicious of a typo in the copied text. The last line should end at the last character with no space or return after. Open that file, go to the end and backspace into the last character and retype the ';' and save, and try again.

If this still doesn't work then it may be the lack of a root password, polkit does use the root password. So I throw it back to the rootless gnome users for input. If the desire is to not have a root password, I have no answer.

VPW23

#15 Post by VPW23 »

@CwF

When I open the file, there is nothing in it. Is that the case with that file? I feel like putting in the sudo nano command provided created a file, not open an existing file.

I tried your suggestion and it still didn't work. I appreciate you trying to help me out, sorry we couldn't come up with a solution.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by CwF »

VPW23 wrote: 2024-03-11 18:57 When I open the file, there is nothing in it.
Then you didn't get it saved properly!
Using nano, after entering the test, hit <Ctrl><o> to 'Write Out' the file, then ctrl x to exit.
It would error at ctrl o if you did not have permission.

Originally you are not opening an existing file, you are creating one. On round two, the command would open the existing file, and if done properly, would show the previously entered text.

$ sudo nano /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/42-user.rules

VPW23

#17 Post by VPW23 »

@CwF

Still no luck. Originally, I just saved with Ctrl-X and when I reopen it without doing Ctrl-O it would show the previously entered text. I then did what you suggested and it still didn't work.

I opened my passwd- file and I see a line that says:

polkitd:x:996:996:polkit:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by CwF »

Ok, I found an install without this rule added;
I pull "com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic;" from the pkla file - a competing method
I used "$ doas nano /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/42-user.rules" -doas, a competing method
pasted and used 'staff' as the group, ctrl o, ctrl x - staff, a nice useful group, maybe appropriate
and then used the menu to open synaptic without issue - synaptic, another GUI package installer

The method is sound in all my uses, thanks to the others testing.

I also have that line in passwd in the one I just successfully tested, with a root account present.

pbear

#19 Post by pbear »

I can test pretty much any scenario, as I'm doing this in VirtualBox and have VMs for each bookworm desktop. @VPW23 , which desktop are you using? Just now, I tested Cinnamon after having disabled autologin and root's password (sudo passwd -l root) (don't have a VM where I didn't set the root password, and only one where I didn't set up sudo, albeit that one [Gnome] I did intentionally). CwF's procedure works fine.

As for where you're going sideways, VPW23, I notice you're skipping a step in the nano edit; between Ctrl-O and Ctrl-X, you have to confirm overwrite of the file by pressing Enter. Maybe GUI will be easier:

EDITOR='gedit -w' sudoedit /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/42-user.rules
Like nano, this creates the file and opens it for editing. Paste in CwF's text, using Select All, then right-click and copy.

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (subject.isInGroup("sudo")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});
Save file (Ctrl-S), then close gedit (Alt-F4). Immediately confirm file contents: sudo cat /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/42-user.rules. By the way, if you like the gedit trick, it can be added to your .bashrc file as an alias. See here.

For folks interested, a couple of links on the topic: Bookworm release notes and polkit man page.

VPW23

#20 Post by VPW23 »

@pbear @CwF

I fixed my problem. https://linuxsimply.com/ubuntu-delete-user-password/

I used the third solution provided. It still asks for authentication but it no longer asks me to provide a password and I can click on the authenticate button where it didn't allow me to without providing a password before.