Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] LUKS+TPM2 unattended boot on Debian 12

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bascule

#1 Post by bascule »

I'm attempting to store the LUKS password for LVM encryption/FDE in a TPM2 as part of unattended boot for a server, i.e. allowing a server with a LUKS encrypted root filesystem to boot without a user having to manually enter the password.

Since this seems to always come up, the threats I'm trying to defend against are an attacker removing a hard drive from the server and mounting its filesystem elsewhere, as well as an attacker altering kernel parameters passed from Grub to use e.g. init=/bin/sh. Clearly there are other threats this approach does not defend against which I will simply declare out-of-scope. Also: I'm not particularly interested in e.g. PCR hardening so much as getting anything to work at all.

I'm working with the following TPM2 device:

Code: Select all

# systemd-cryptenroll --tpm2-device=list
PATH        DEVICE      DRIVER
/dev/tpmrm0 MSFT0101:00 tpm_tis
I've attempted a few different methods, all unsuccessfully:

- systemd-cryptenroll
- tpm2-initramfs-tool
- clevis

Of those, systemd-cryptenroll seems it's probably the best approach and one I seem to have partially working, at least. With the `tpm2-tools` package installed I am seemingly able to enroll my LUKS password into my TPM:

# systemd-cryptenroll --tpm2-device=auto --tpm2-pcrs=0+7 /dev/sda3
🔐 Please enter current passphrase for disk /dev/sda3: [...]
New TPM2 token enrolled as key slot 1.
So that much seems to work, but what I'm having trouble with is adding TPM support to initramfs and configuring my crypttab to use the TPM.

I've seen a lot of recommendations of dracut for this. I've tried the following:

apt-get install dracut
dracut --add tpm2-tss -f
I also modified my /etc/crypttab to change the last entry from "luks,discard" to "luks,tpm2-device=auto". I've also tried just "luks,tpm2-device=auto" as well as "luks,discard,tpm2-device=auto" and just "tpm2-device=auto".

With dracut, after grub launches Linux, where it would ordinarily prompt for a password it just sits there with a cursor before dropping to an emergency shell.

I've also tried to add TPM support via initramfs-tools instead, modifying /etc/initramfs-tools/modules to add tpm_tis, and then running update-initramfs -u, but it complains:

cryptsetup: WARNING: sda3_crypt: ignoring unknown option 'tpm2-device'
:linked:

I get the same warning when the system boots, followed by a password prompt. This seems relevant: https://groups.google.com/g/linux.debia ... MQ5A?pli=1

Any suggestions?
Last edited by bascule on 2024-03-15 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

bascule

Re: LUKS+TPM2 unattended boot on Debian 12

#2 Post by bascule »

After posting this, I managed to get things working by this guide which works using dracut and actually removing the entry from /etc/crypttab: https://blog.fernvenue.com/archives/deb ... ecryption/

Still curious if anyone has opinions on this approach or others.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by donald »

bascule wrote: 2024-03-12 18:39 After posting this, I managed to get things working by this guide which works using dracut and actually removing the entry from /etc/crypttab: https://blog.fernvenue.com/archives/deb ... ecryption/

Still curious if anyone has opinions on this approach or others.
Your OP was very detailed, could you do the same for the solution rather than just posting a link? I am curious in this as I use a hidden keyfile as I think most others do.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

bascule

#4 Post by bascule »

Here are the notes I took for myself from the post.

Note: you'll need to change `sda3` to your respective encrypted volume (according to e.g. lsblk, or checking /etc/crypttab).

1. Install required packages:

apt install dracut tmp2-tools
2. Store the LUKS password in the TPM using the following command:

$ systemd-cryptenroll --tpm2-device=auto --tpm2-pcrs=0+7 /dev/sda3
3. Create a new file /etc/dracut.conf.d/tpm2-tss.conf:

add_dracutmodules+=" tpm2-tss crypt "
4. Edit /etc/default/grub and change `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX` to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.auto rd.luks=1"
5. Edit /etc/crypttab and comment out the line for `sda3_crypt` with a leading `#`.

6: Finally, run:

$ dracut -f
$ update-grub
Upon reboot, the system should boot automatically without a password prompt.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your configuration, that's quite interesting.

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message (after other tags, if any); i.e. :
Happy Debian !
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀