Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hard drive randomly quits responding

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Planefreak

Hard drive randomly quits responding

#1 Post by Planefreak »

Hello,

I've been having a persistent problem that one of my non-critical spinning drives (I have 10 drives installed, 2 SSD and 8 spinning discs) will randomly stop responding and Debian 12 will report an input/output error.

I tried using the built in disk management to unmount and mount, but I am still unable to communicate with the drive. I tried this again from the terminal using umount, but I could not get it to work. Then I removed the disk from the machine and scanned it on a different computer system and did not find any errors. No bad sectors found and I don't recall seeing anything in the SMART data that might indicate an issue.

The only thing I've found to get the drive to reconnect is to reboot my machine. This is a hassle because I have to shut down several applications and relaunch some of them after booting. The drive is always connected and working after it boots. Sometimes it will be a few hours before the drive reports input/output error and sometimes its weeks.

When this started, I swapped out the cable with a new one. Other than that, I haven't been in the server for a few months.

Where do I start with fixing this issue? Thank you

HDD: SATA 14TB Toshiba with around 15,000 hours. Formatted as NTFS. All data is backed up.

mrmazda

Re: Hard drive randomly quits responding

#2 Post by mrmazda »

For what definition of "new"? Freshly purchased? Bought years ago but still in original wrapper, but may not support SATA3.x/600MB/s? I have lots of the latter. :p My luck with Toshiba spinners hasn't been good either. :(

Planefreak

#3 Post by Planefreak »

I tried swapping cables with another drive, as in it was connected to a different motherboard port on a different cable. The problem persisted, so I used one the spare cables I bought when I built the server 7 months ago. I'll replace the cable now.

Been a while since I've had a drive failure. Might be the case here. Hope not.

Stones

#4 Post by Stones »

Hello,

Have you considered checking the system logs for additional clues? Sometimes they can reveal valuable information. By the way, have you shared your troubleshooting experiences on Twitter? It's often a great way to get additional tips and tricks from the community."