Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Best software for a backup server

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
databoy2k

[Software] Best software for a backup server

#1 Post by databoy2k »

TL;DR: looking for updated recommendations on software to run a debian-based backup server.

The last thread I found on this topic was 2015, so I'm wondering if the advice has changed.

I run an ubuntu-server-based server (call him "Server"). Server is mostly running docker containers that run different file-serving or home-based apps (actual budget, immich, home assistant, etc.). Server's key files are at:
~/docker_volumes --> Bound folders for each container's volumes letting me access the files (stored on main NVME drive)
/mnt/videos --> Various videos that I serve using Jellyfin in-house (stored on /dev/sda)
/mnt/photos --> Personal photos that I serve using Immich (stored on /dev/sdb)
/mnt/ABC --> My initials, signifying my personal documents or other non-shared creations (stored on /dev/sdc1)
/mnt/DEF --> My wife's initials, for her personal documents etc. (stored on /dev/sdc2)

My one backup solution was to copy those folders onto an eSata drive doing rsync, mounted to /mnt/backup. Unfortunately, said drive died so I lost the backups (but not the originals, mercifully). I'm not making that mistake twice.

I bought 4x 2gb enterprise drives, but I didn't have any more sata ports in Server. I elected to set up those drives in another old machine that I had (call him "Backup"), installed Debian 12 headlessly, and put them together in a RAID5. Using LVM to partition out the root and swap, I have about 5.5TB remaining accessible on /mnt/backup on Backup.

Now what I'm wondering is what's the next best step, since Backup is separate from Server. They're on the same network, albeit in different locations (Backup lives upstairs near an exit door, so if crap ever hit the fan and we needed to get out I'd just grab him rather than trying to fish Server out). What's the best software and networking option to pull those key files out? Is there an easy way to do some versioning of ~/docker_volumes? I don't mind installing straight onto Backup or setting up docker on it as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by databoy2k on 2024-03-19 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Software] Backup Advice and Software

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

It might be worth making the topic title more specific here. I can imagine users with backup on a home computer taking a look at the topic and thinking "this is server stuff: I don't know anything about this" and users with experience running a backup server looking at the title and thinking "that'll be somebody wanting to backup a home computer" and not bothering to read the topic.

Advice on setting up a backup server?

Best software for a backup server?

I've given you a bump anyway. I hope you get some answers.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

databoy2k wrote: 2024-03-18 19:02 copy those folders onto an eSata drive doing rsync, mounted to /mnt/backup.
Now what I'm wondering is what's the next best step, since Backup is separate from Server.
Rsync works just fine over a network, that's it's intended purpose.

If you want more features than plain rsync, there's rsnapshot, bacula, amanda, backuppc, borgbackup, burp, and many others a simple web search will reveal.
Personally, I use server-initiated rsync over ssh with a custom script and ZFS snapshots for versioning. That's just me though, you'll need to do some reading to figure out what suits you.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

All of that data seems relatively unchanging. As such I'd suggest a simple rsync on a schedule would be quite sufficient. How often really depends on how much is added to it on a regular basis. You can do it via a systemd service or cron, either way.

In the case of the docker data I personally like duplicity and am quite pleased with it. You can use deja-dup as a front end for restores if needed. Makes it a bit easier to be able to visualize it. Instead of backing up the entire docker volume though you might be better off backing up the critical bits. In my case for both my mariadb and mythtv backend dockers I run a single script to dump the entire db structure to a file once a day. The script only keeps the latest 4 or 5 days as my needs aren't critical.

Script for reference - https://gitlab.com/jmgibson1981/homescr ... type=heads
( I haven't tested the restore function really. I've done it manually just because I like to ).

Ultimately every situation is different. One person's backup strategy is another person's nightmare. Only you can decide how intense you want to go. In some cases stuff like this will help. For other's it can probably be major overkill.

databoy2k

#5 Post by databoy2k »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2024-03-19 09:37 It might be worth making the topic title more specific here. I can imagine users with backup on a home computer taking a look at the topic and thinking "this is server stuff: I don't know anything about this" and users with experience running a backup server looking at the title and thinking "that'll be somebody wanting to backup a home computer" and not bothering to read the topic.

Advice on setting up a backup server?

Best software for a backup server?

I've given you a bump anyway. I hope you get some answers.
Appreciated. Fixed.
steve_v wrote: 2024-03-19 10:48
databoy2k wrote: 2024-03-18 19:02 copy those folders onto an eSata drive doing rsync, mounted to /mnt/backup.
Now what I'm wondering is what's the next best step, since Backup is separate from Server.
Rsync works just fine over a network, that's it's intended purpose.

If you want more features than plain rsync, there's rsnapshot, bacula, amanda, backuppc, borgbackup, burp, and many others a simple web search will reveal.
Personally, I use server-initiated rsync over ssh with a custom script and ZFS snapshots for versioning. That's just me though, you'll need to do some reading to figure out what suits you.
I honestly didn't know that Rsync worked over a network that easily. I did find a list similar to the one that you created, but like with so many other open source things, it's hard for someone not skilled in the art to sort through it to find the good within the fine and unmaintained. I was kind of thinking along the lines of Borg, for example. I might just do Rsync though since it's familiar.
jmgibson1981 wrote: 2024-03-19 13:45 All of that data seems relatively unchanging. As such I'd suggest a simple rsync on a schedule would be quite sufficient. How often really depends on how much is added to it on a regular basis. You can do it via a systemd service or cron, either way.

In the case of the docker data I personally like duplicity and am quite pleased with it. You can use deja-dup as a front end for restores if needed. Makes it a bit easier to be able to visualize it. Instead of backing up the entire docker volume though you might be better off backing up the critical bits. In my case for both my mariadb and mythtv backend dockers I run a single script to dump the entire db structure to a file once a day. The script only keeps the latest 4 or 5 days as my needs aren't critical.

Script for reference - https://gitlab.com/jmgibson1981/homescr ... type=heads
( I haven't tested the restore function really. I've done it manually just because I like to ).

Ultimately every situation is different. One person's backup strategy is another person's nightmare. Only you can decide how intense you want to go. In some cases stuff like this will help. For other's it can probably be major overkill.
Love your script - thanks! I do like front ends. It looks like Deja-Dup only works from a local x-server though? I'd like both systems to stay headless.

Generally to all: Any reviews on UrBackup vs Borg? Both look kind of like what I was aiming for.

Thanks all - As always, much appreciated.

poweruser181

Re: [Software] Best software for a backup server

#6 Post by poweruser181 »

databoy2k wrote: 2024-03-18 19:02 [...]
Now what I'm wondering is what's the next best step, since Backup is separate from Server. They're on the same network, albeit in different locations (Backup lives upstairs near an exit door, so if crap ever hit the fan and we needed to get out I'd just grab him rather than trying to fish Server out). What's the best software and networking option to pull those key files out? Is there an easy way to do some versioning of ~/docker_volumes? I don't mind installing straight onto Backup or setting up docker on it as well.
[...]
Although not directly related to your question I'd advise you to take a look into the 3-2-1 rule of thumb regarding backups. This might give some hints why your current backup strategy might have some vulnerabilities.

yesh

#7 Post by yesh »

I cast my vote for 'rsync'...

Rsync is the best backup software I have ever used. Probably the best software I have ever used - for stability, reliability, and always getting the job done.

I use rsync for all essential backups, including files at home, and server files. Provided the command is configured properly to suit your purpose, it ALWAYS works, and has NEVER failed me in over a decade of usage.

There is plenty of help online to assist in formulating a command to suit. I have also used 'grsync' to help with commands, but I only ever use rsync by issuing a command (sometimes by cron), never through another program, which may fail. Pure rsync never fails.

PS: The only way rsync could fail, is if there is a hardware failure, or a network failure in the case of a backup over network.
Image Stable Xfce / HP Notebook 15 BS143TU / Intel® Core™ i5-8250U / 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz / 1 TB SATA / Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (1366x768 15.6")

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by cds60601 »

For home networking with a "minimal" front end, I like UrBackup. For the most part, its a front end for rsync. Of course, there is BackupPC. A bit more complex with the ability to backup clients.
Rsnapshot (as mentioned above) and rdiff backup, both of which I have used at various times in the past. So really, rsync in some form, seems to be the overall best option. YMMV
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

arzgi

#9 Post by arzgi »

I use unison, another fronted to the rsync, but I only sync my laptop /home to pc¨s /home, the pc has a second disk, to with it backups /home and some more important stuff automatically, there I just use rsync. So good learn rsync :wink: