Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sharing space for the Mint. Virtual Machine for Windows (Full-featured)

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Unamelable

Sharing space for the Mint. Virtual Machine for Windows (Full-featured)

#1 Post by Unamelable »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XeFwHi3mU&rco=1 I'm already leaning towards Linux not being for me. Or Linux hates me very much.

The problem is, no matter how hard I try to make an effort to use it as a primary system. I managed to stay with Ubuntu for as long as possible, simply because it's much thoughtful. And for the most part, you don't have to mess around with the Terminal. Switch to any other Debian distribution and you start to scratch your head over some serious flaws. I decided to use MintOS as my main system just yesterday. And once again, I've had bad luck. After installing the system on my 5200RPM HDD with slash only (hopefully the system still takes space by itself for /swap and /home). The system managed to be unstoppably slow. And after downloading and changing parameters via grub-customizer. Broke grub. I bit off the unused space, so I fixed Windows Boot Loader and used the system as if nothing had happened.

I want to move away from Windows because I'm sick of constantly reinstalling the system after long use. I am far from being a stupid PC user, and I have been using it for a long time during my life. But to fix "accidentally" broken Windows features - it's already easier for me to reinstall Windows with all software than to spend 2 days to solve a nasty upstart. If there are people here who know TheOrdinaryGamer. He reminded me of virtual machines. When I finally updated my PC build. I'll probably be able to have two systems at once without the need for Dual-Boot.

I have a "fully dedicated to system" SSD. Can I make an image of my system and save it to HDD to use it for a virtual machine on Mint? This is very critical because this is my "main session" which I really don't want to lose. I can't stand another week of actively customizing Windows from scratch.
Partitioning is not a problem with Acronis

I have 80 gigabytes free on my SSD (222 GB total on SSD). And I have a question: Can I install, for example, a 60 gigabyte on slash. /swap to 8GB (I have 16GB RAM). And 60 gigs on HDD for /home? Or do I still need to add a couple of other partitions to make it work properly?
FORMATTING OTHER THAN FREE PARTITIONS IS PROHIBITED

My condition is that the virtual machine uses the full power of my computer. Like I'm running applications natively. I can make allowances for the fact that the emulation may not be full-featured, and there may be a loss of performance. But I will definitely not tolerate crashing or graphical bugs from the VM.
I don't know yet which virtual machine can fully perform its tasks (I'm not interested in online games, at least modern ones).

I'm not the kind of person who does NOT like to dig through guides and solve everything through the terminal. It's very stupid, and incredibly exhausting. I want it to be solved through the GUI, because I catch flashbacks to Windows with its problems that I want to avoid. It's like, okay, I'm still sitting at a computer and I'm unemployed. But if that's how it's going to come across to people who aren't computer enthusiasts. And they've got a lot of work to do. It's not strange why Linux is still underground.

I've had experience with Linux for the first time, and it choked me up. I am now ready to try again with a new distro to try my luck.

My PC - AMD Based
* CPU: R5 5500
* GPU: Radeon 6600 XT
* RAM: DDR4 16GB 3666MHz
* HDD: 1+1 TB 5200 RPM
* SSD: 256 GB (SATA)
(lets guess that Palworld will gonna be an benchmark for Virutal Machine) - i know about proton, it is just an example.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sharing space for the Mint. Virtual Machine for Windows (Full-featured)

#2 Post by CwF »

Moved to Off-Topic since it is mostly a random rant.

Welcome to Debian @Unamelable
Linux is a large ecosystem that ranges from simple to strange. This may take some time. If you are unwilling to adapt to how linux works it won't go well. Some distro's try to hold your hand and make the transition as smooth as possible, but the thing that needs to adapt the most is the user.

Unamelable

#3 Post by Unamelable »

Drop it back to #help because you 100% didn't read whole post.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Unamelable wrote: 2024-03-20 16:01 Drop it back to #help because you 100% didn't read whole post.
Narrow it down to a particular question about Debian and maybe we'll get somewhere.

Links to videos are not helpful or explanatory.