Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Is there an DE that will show root in the file manager?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pbear

Re: Is there an DE that will show root in the file manager?

#21 Post by pbear »

We've drifted pretty far from the original topic. OTOH, it's your thread, so if the mods are okay with the drift, no worries.
Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-26 04:47 ... will stay with FF ESR as it seems faster than the non-ESR version. Of course, that may be all in my noodle.
Not that I've noticed. The reason Debian uses ESR is that it's more stable. I switched my installation to the standard version because I like to share profiles, for which all OSs need to be using the same version.
... some form of Harry Potter magic makes [Timeshift snapshots] nearly impossible to move with a file manager. However, the Terminal seems to trump the Harry Potter magic and I was able to move folders,
For anyone following along, the magic is hard links. The Terminal solution is to use rsync with the -H flag.
... I now have a happy backup of my Debian install.
Sort of. Timeshift is useful for its intended purpose, system restore. Not so great as a backup app. Can be done, but complicated.
I will play with Kup next, just to get a feel for it and see if it is preferable to Timeshift.
Now I'm worried. I hope you're not using Timeshift to back up data files. That would be a very bad idea. Backup system and data separately.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by CwF »

pbear wrote: 2024-03-26 15:54 We've drifted pretty far from the original topic.
drift away...
Concerning the original question: XFCE of course.
Mousepad, Thunar, xfce4-teminal all ship with a proper polkit policy file and use root unique theming with a warning banner, like they were made to properly handle the job. The user needs to set up things how they like.

According to sunrat's post KDE has a good solution also.

Augie77

#23 Post by Augie77 »

Back from the mysteries of Debian. I failed to grasp the world of KDE, so I removed Debian KDE and installed Debian XFCE and now, I can cope. :) I am really beginning to like Bookworm better than Mint Virginia. I do appreciate some Mint items such as their Update Manager, 50 zillion icons and colors, and I do miss those but I will cope.

I have added a few toys and tools, prettied up two workspaces, copied some backgrounds from another OS, installed HOMI backup, Timeshift and Deja-dup, Thunderbird, and more. Installed flatpak then asked myself just what the hell was I thinking and then uninstalled flatpak.

Regards
Last edited by Augie77 on 2024-03-30 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Augie77

#24 Post by Augie77 »

yesh wrote: 2024-03-23 22:58 Hi Augie, this can be done easily on Xfce desktop, using the default file manager 'Thunar'.

Open thunar, then go:
MENU > Edit > Configure custom actions...

Add a new custom action (+)

Name:
Open as Root

Command:
pkexec thunar %f

Icon:
Select a nice icon

Click on 'Appearance Conditions' tab (top)
Select (check) 'Directories'

Done! Now when you right-click on a directory, the 'Open as Root' option is there to click. Any file you edit from the new thunar window will be edited as root.
Thank you, that worked a charm, as the saying goes. :)

yesh

#25 Post by yesh »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-30 23:41
yesh wrote: 2024-03-23 22:58 Hi Augie, this can be done easily on Xfce desktop, using the default file manager 'Thunar'.

Open thunar, then go:
MENU > Edit > Configure custom actions...

Add a new custom action (+)

Name:
Open as Root

Command:
pkexec thunar %f

Icon:
Select a nice icon

Click on 'Appearance Conditions' tab (top)
Select (check) 'Directories'

Done! Now when you right-click on a directory, the 'Open as Root' option is there to click. Any file you edit from the new thunar window will be edited as root.
Thank you, that worked a charm, as the saying goes. :)
Hi Augie,

Great to hear, enjoy! :D

You can thank me by clicking the 'thumbs up' on my post.

Then, mark your first post as solved - edit first post and put '[Solved]' in title.
Image Stable Xfce / HP Notebook 15 BS143TU / Intel® Core™ i5-8250U / 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz / 1 TB SATA / Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (1366x768 15.6")

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by CwF »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-30 23:41 , that worked a charm
While you're at it making CA's, add one for 'pkexec mousepad %f' and 'pkexec xfce4-terminal %f'
For thunar and xfce4-terminal selecting 'Directories' under "Appearance Conditions' then will appear also in the right click menu from the desktop. And notice they also can be added to the right top tool bar in thunar if you select them to do so in Thunar's 'View'>'Configure Toolbar...'

Have fun!

Augie77

#27 Post by Augie77 »

CwF wrote: 2024-03-31 01:22
Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-30 23:41 , that worked a charm
While you're at it making CA's, add one for 'pkexec mousepad %f' and 'pkexec xfce4-terminal %f'
For thunar and xfce4-terminal selecting 'Directories' under "Appearance Conditions' then will appear also in the right click menu from the desktop. And notice they also can be added to the right top tool bar in thunar if you select them to do so in Thunar's 'View'>'Configure Toolbar...'

Have fun!
Oh that is good info, will do. :)