Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Is there an DE that will show root in the file manager?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Augie77

[Solved] Is there an DE that will show root in the file manager?

#1 Post by Augie77 »

Came from Mint and am new to Debian, using the KDE DE. Is there a DE that has a file manager that shows the root files/folders and permits me access to root with a "open as root" option?

Regards
Last edited by Augie77 on 2024-03-31 00:50, edited 2 times in total.

blackdragon

Re: Is there an DE that will show root in the file manager?

#2 Post by blackdragon »

You can install Nemo on KDE, but do not need to set it as the default file manager. You can launch Nemo from the menu, pin it to the panel, or create a desktop shortcut, and use it on an as-needed basis if you need to access files as root. Just be advised that editing files in root should be done so with extreme caution.

yesh

#3 Post by yesh »

Hi Augie, this can be done easily on Xfce desktop, using the default file manager 'Thunar'.

Open thunar, then go:
MENU > Edit > Configure custom actions...

Add a new custom action (+)

Name:
Open as Root

Command:
pkexec thunar %f

Icon:
Select a nice icon

Click on 'Appearance Conditions' tab (top)
Select (check) 'Directories'

Done! Now when you right-click on a directory, the 'Open as Root' option is there to click. Any file you edit from the new thunar window will be edited as root.
Image Stable Xfce / HP Notebook 15 BS143TU / Intel® Core™ i5-8250U / 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz / 1 TB SATA / Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (1366x768 15.6")

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

In KDE I use the MX Linux kde-rootactions-servicemenu package which adds a number of root actions to the context menu. Use the MX-23 version for Bookworm - https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/r/ ... rvicemenu/
rootactionscs.png
Resizing made it a bit blurry but you get the idea. Full size is huge. :D
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pbear

#5 Post by pbear »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-23 16:07 Is there a DE that has a file manager that shows the root files/folders and permits me access to root with a "open as root" option?
Debian is available with the Cinnamon desktop, which works the same on this issue as Mint. Gnome can do the same thing (called 'Open as Admin'), but you need to install nautilus-admin. For XFCE, pkexec thunar works in a test I just ran in a Debian VM. Same doesn't work in Mate, though sudo caja does (otoh, mixing sudo and GUI isn't considered good practice).

As for KDE, it deals with permissions a little differently. You can open a config file from the regular file manager (Dolphin) and make edits. The privileges check comes at the end, i.e., need to supply password to save changes. Indeed, if you try to open Dolphin with sudo (pkexec doesn't work), this warning ensues, "Instead use Dolphin normally and you will be prompted for elevated privileges when performing file operations that require them."

What are you trying to do? There's probably a way, if what we've mentioned already hasn't covered it.

kc1di

#6 Post by kc1di »

Or you can open Dolphin as root with this script.
pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
Just copy and paste into the terminal it will ask for your password.
Dave
Morse Code -An Early digital mode !
Bookworm
John 3:16
Registered Linux User # 462608

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#7 Post by oswaldkelso »

Augie77
spacefm (zzzfm) also offer this in the menu.

However I think you're confusing your self. The DE or WM is imaterial. Many file managers offer this option. Perhaps via a menu or some setting.

But why not make things simple and open a terminal as root and start what ever filemanager you're using as root also?
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

Code: Select all

~$ su -c spacefm

peer

#9 Post by peer »

Krusader is a very nice file manager. You can easily run Krusader as root from within Krusader itself. (in topmenu: select 'Tools' and then 'Start root mode Krusader'). I

I use dolphin as my regular file manager because it is standard installed in kde. I use doublecommander as root exclusively for root functions.

kc1di

#10 Post by kc1di »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2024-03-24 21:38 Augie77
spacefm (zzzfm) also offer this in the menu.

However I think you're confusing your self. The DE or WM is imaterial. Many file managers offer this option. Perhaps via a menu or some setting.

But why not make things simple and open a terminal as root and start what ever filemanager you're using as root also?
+1
Dave
Morse Code -An Early digital mode !
Bookworm
John 3:16
Registered Linux User # 462608

sdibaja

#11 Post by sdibaja »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-23 16:07 Came from Mint and am new to Debian, using the KDE DE. Is there a DE that has a file manager that shows the root files/folders and permits me access to root with a "open as root" option?

Regards
Yes. The Mate desktop. Using Caja file manager.
I always install the mate-desktop-environment-extras meta package, so maybe that is needed.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#12 Post by lindi »

Running GUI apps as root can cause interesting problems if they create files in your home directory as your normal user might not be able to modify those files. This can lead to all sorts of odd behavior afterwards.

Augie77

#13 Post by Augie77 »

Greetings to all, and thanks for the information. My apologies for the late reply, I have been busy installing two VIOFO dash cameras in my Outback and clearing up radio/GPS noise issues.

I did make time last night for the appropriate level of frustration it takes to switch to a new OS. Firefox ESR did not like importing passwords from non ESR versions, and ESR did not like syncing to my Sync account. Once I remembered to change two setting in about:config the import went smoother. I still need to move Thunderbird profile over to the newly installed Tbird. I have tried Evolution in the past and did not like it at all. I prefer the way Tbird displays all the folders in the left pane and the ability to get messages from all accounts at the same time. Never found a way to do that in Evolution. Once email is settled, I will look at the KED offering for email, but for now, I need to be functional with the OS.

I have installed Thunar and Nemo. I did give Dolphin a try but it was a leading cause of frustration, once Thunar was installed I was in a better frame of mind. I also installed gnome-terminal, but still need to set it up, colour and font wise. I copied over the Avidemux app image and it seems to work well, though I have not used all the functions. I am discovering how to edit the panel, I will admit that I prefer the Mint XFCE way to edit the panel. However, I will eventually get the hang of it all; one can't expect features of one distro to be like another distro. Learn curve is steep sometimes. :)

I installed the game Kpatience, likely the most important thing I have done so far, one must have entertainment. :) Learning my way around Discover, but for the moment, I think I prefer Synaptic. I still need to figure out the backup scheme for Debian, I have not looked too deeply into it but will do so today. I don't care to get too far along without a backup and I do see Timeshift in Discover. I may start there as I am familiar with Timeshift. I miss gparted, though I see that Disks is available.

My thanks to all, I appreciate the advice and have been looking at the online docs so as not bother anyone with questions I can answer on my own. There is much for me to learn, it will be a slow process for this old brain. :)

pbear

#14 Post by pbear »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-25 14:55 I miss gparted, though
It's available in repo. And not installed by default in Mint, so that's what you did there also.
By the way, you can install regular Firefox in Debian, if you want to.
sdibaja wrote: 2024-03-25 13:47 I always install the mate-desktop-environment-extras meta package, so maybe that is needed.
Yes, that works. And I don't see the option on out-of-the-box Debian Mate without it.

sdibaja

#15 Post by sdibaja »

pbear wrote: 2024-03-25 16:04
Augie77 wrote: 2024-03-25 14:55 I miss gparted, though
It's available in repo. And not installed by default in Mint, so that's what you did there also.
By the way, you can install regular Firefox in Debian, if you want to.
sdibaja wrote: 2024-03-25 13:47 I always install the mate-desktop-environment-extras meta package, so maybe that is needed.
Yes, that works. And I don't see the option on out-of-the-box Debian Mate without it.
Maybe you install with the Live gizmo.
Multiple installs on various machines...
I only use the netinstall, and that metapackage is never installed.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

I still need to figure out the backup scheme for Debian
If you are using KDE, it has a built-in backup utility called Kup. It's a front-end for rsync. Have a look in System Settings for "Backup". I use it for backing up HOME to a separate internal drive.
I also use straight rsync to back up other data directories to external, and fsarchiver for full system partition backups.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

pbear

#17 Post by pbear »

sdibaja wrote: 2024-03-25 17:08 I only use the netinstall, and that metapackage is never installed.
My bad, ambiguous references. What I meant was, Caja doesn't have the Open as Admin option out-of-the-box. I was only able to get said option by installing the meta package you suggested.

sdibaja

#18 Post by sdibaja »

pbear wrote: 2024-03-26 01:02
sdibaja wrote: 2024-03-25 17:08 I only use the netinstall, and that metapackage is never installed.
My bad, ambiguous references. What I meant was, Caja doesn't have the Open as Admin option out-of-the-box. I was only able to get said option by installing the meta package you suggested.
There actually is a single package that gives us that ability. I found it and I used it in Manjaro. But my in my senior years memory fades.
Maybe someone more educated will be able to log my memory.

Augie77

#19 Post by Augie77 »

Gparted is installed, as is Timeshift. I will stay with FF ESR as it seems faster than the non-ESR version. Of course, that may be all in my noodle. I learned that gparted will hose up a NVME that belongs to Mint, or it will when I use gparted anyway. Twas not fun as I was shrinking my Mint Timeshift backup drive to make space for co-habitation with a Debian Timeshift backup. I have discovered that there are an ungodly amount of files in a Timeshift folder, and, that some form of Harry Potter magic makes them nearly impossible to move with a file manager. However, the Terminal seems to trump the Harry Potter magic and I was able to move folders, then repartition and format the NVME. I now have a happy backup of my Debian install.

I will play with Kup next, just to get a feel for it and see if it is preferable to Timeshift. I am not stuck on Timeshift by any means so all doors are open for a backup utility. I am using Homi on Mint as a second backup to Timeshift. It is a neat little backup that makes an hourly record of the install. I will install it next on Debian. Been playing with backgrounds, desktop colours and the sort. Someone in the KDE world likes the colour blue about as much as I dislike it. :) Gonna take me a while to sort out the colours.

Appreciate all the help. I have a Debian install that I can live with and begin using daily. It is always a task to move 'stuff' from one OS to another, the process though is a good learning experience.
Last edited by Augie77 on 2024-03-26 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

If you don't like the theme in KDE Plasma, just go to System Settings > Appearance. There may be a few offered but if you don't like those there are dozens of others to choose just by clicking "Get New Global Themes".
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!