Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WiFi keeps disconnecting

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Pixel

WiFi keeps disconnecting

#1 Post by Pixel »

System information:

Softwares:
Debian GNU/Linux 12(bookworm)
KDE Plasma 5.27.5
X11 session
X.Org version: 1.21.1.7
Kernel 6.1.0-18-amd64 (64-bit)
Network Manager version 1.42.4

Laptop:
i5 8250U CPU
!5.3 GiB RAM
Intel UHD 620 + Radeon R7 (don't know exact version, doesn't show on system info. A problem for another day)
Qualcom Atheros QCA-9377 [network card[
[network settings all auto configured]

The problem:

It isn't exactly something I can repeat but it looks like a conflict of bluetooth and WiFi and it's causing WiFi to disconnect (all connections disappear, not just mine). Why do I think that's the problem?
This problem occurs, rather I notice it when I'm playing a youtube video on brave browser and the WiFi connections decide to just disappear all of a sudden causing the video to be stuck, there is no problem with my WiFi connection, when this problem occurs I have picked up my mobile and made a 'test' google search to see if the internet is working, it works just fine. This problem is new to me mainly because I migrated to Linux just recently it's been about a week at most.

I've tried a number of solutions, none of them help:

- Turning the battery saver mode off from the terminal.
- Turning the WiFi powersave off from the terminal.
- Installing related WiFi card drivers (they were already on the latest version).
- Reinstalling NetworkManager.

I've tried switching over to an Ethernet cable as well and sure enough it is not an internet connectivity issue, all the WiFi connections disappear not just mine, this did not used to happen in Windows 10.

Before making this post I saw another similar looking post and a user commented saying that it could be a conflict between Bluetooth and WiFi so I decided to turn bluetooth off and re-run the little experiment (a 5ish minute youtube video) the time frame in which the problem would usually occur in; and sure enough, it didn't happen. I am not really that much of a tech guy so I'd appreciate if someone can tell me how I can recreate the problem in a more efficient way. The post that I saw was a guy with a Desktop, it was titled [Solved] and the solution was that he just replaced his WiFi card... Not really something I can do. Any help is appreciated!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WiFi keeps disconnecting

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

The Windows firmware obviously has a wifi/bluetooth juggling feature. Try installing the latest firmware from github. It looks like the feature has been implemented.

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads;git clone https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware.git;sudo cp -rf ath10k-firmware/QCA9377 /lib/firmware/ath10k/
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=346784

The command needs sudo to copy the files. If you don't have it, just separate out that part and run as root.

# cd /home/<username>/Downloads

# cp -rf ath10k-firmware/QCA9377 /lib/firmware/ath10k

nikobit

#3 Post by nikobit »

To me that seems to be your router problem. For example: I had an issue with WiFi connection to only Android phone and nothing else. None of the solutions worked untill I managed to find a hint from a "SNBuilder" forum which recommended to switch off under "Auto select channel" feature a checkbox "Auto select channel including DFS channels" in General WiFi settings. Your case might be different. Look to similar headers in your router Manager.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-19-amd64
  • Shell: bash
  • DE: GNOME 3.38.4
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 8x 4GHz
  • GPU: NVE4
  • RAM: 2384MiB / 15925MiB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pixel

#4 Post by Pixel »

nikobit wrote: 2024-03-24 07:54 To me that seems to be your router problem. For example: I had an issue with WiFi connection to only Android phone and nothing else. None of the solutions worked untill I managed to find a hint from a "SNBuilder" forum which recommended to switch off under "Auto select channel" feature a checkbox "Auto select channel including DFS channels" in General WiFi settings. Your case might be different. Look to similar headers in your router Manager.
How can it be a router problem when it doesn't happen when I'm using Windows 10?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Pixel wrote: 2024-03-24 09:39 How can it be a router problem when it doesn't happen when I'm using Windows 10?
What frequency does wifi use in Windows? 5GHz is less likely to conflict with Bluetooth's 2.4GHz, so if you can configure wifi to use 5GHz in Linux, that would help.

Pixel

#6 Post by Pixel »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2024-03-24 10:47
Pixel wrote: 2024-03-24 09:39 How can it be a router problem when it doesn't happen when I'm using Windows 10?
What frequency does wifi use in Windows? 5GHz is less likely to conflict with Bluetooth's 2.4GHz, so if you can configure wifi to use 5GHz in Linux, that would help.
It is an off brand chinese router so I'll have to look a bit into how to access the admin portal but it does say "Type: WiFi 4" on my android, WiFi 4 supports 5GHz so I'll try switching it to 5GHz as well.

I actually tried the method you mentioned before but I messed up a bit and copied the files to a wrong location, and also because of changing the network config my wired connection now refused to connect so I had to do a re-install of the OS.

This time around I noticed that at the time of installation it gave me an error that I ignored on previous installations, it reads "Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware... The missing files are: ath10k/cal-pci0000:03:00.0.bin ath10k/pre-cal-pci-0000:03:00.0.bin" Any idea how I can install these files?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Did you sorted it out ?

Please, add the device identification data at the end of the subject of the first message to the make the subject more understandable to other forum users and readers, if necessary; i.e. :
WiFi keeps disconnecting with Qualcom Atheros QCA-9377
---
note: moved to "Hardware" sub-forum.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀