Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tap to Click not working on Debian 12 Bookworm with Synaptic

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Wayseeker52

Tap to Click not working on Debian 12 Bookworm with Synaptic

#1 Post by Wayseeker52 »

Greetings, and thank you for your time.

I've been using linux for some years now, and I'm pretty good at fishing through forums to find what I need. I've spent a few hours on this, and can't come up with anything.

I run Debian 12, Gnome, Wayland on an HP Pavilion computer. It's been running smoothly for awhile. Then--seemingly randomly--the "Touch to Click" setting on my touchpad does not work. In command line, I determined that I have Synaptic because the command line does not recognize xinput and libinput. Under synclient -l, TapButton1-3 are set to 0 by default. If I use Synclient to reset them: "synclient TapButton1=1", etc. it will reset the settings, but fixing the setting only occasionally actually causes the Tap to Click to work; often fixing the setting changes nothing.

I am confused about what caused this and how to fix it. Ultimately, I care much more about fixing it than I do about understanding it, though understanding is always better, especially when running linux.

Any help would be much appreciated!