Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A "toy" server I could mess with?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hetzer

A "toy" server I could mess with?

#1 Post by Hetzer »

[Not posting in "Hardware" as it's not Debian-specific; I want to play with random unixes on it]

Playing exclusively with desktop-class x86 hardware got pretty boring after years (especially when newer hardware becomes more and more restricted),
so I'm thinking of getting something more advanced this time.
I got my eye on server hardware since it fulfills what I want - lots of parts, usually very configurable and done to be modular and scalable
As I don't need anything to put into production (especially when that one Point-Of-Sale crap I have is a huge overkill for what I need right now),
looking for a "toy" server which:
- is a "real" server - so not yet another desktop in a server case without hot-swap bays
- has as few obscure interfaces as possible (or are used only for risers and the like)
- uses HBA instead of hardware RAID / It's possible to install HBA instead
- doesn't use any obscure cards operable only by one specific system
- supports SATA disks (Probably every SAS controller supports them, but just to make sure)
- would be something I own, not the opposite - i.e. without remotely-activated cores, no non-whitelisted hardware blocking
- is 64-bit
- preferably comes with DVD-ROM
- preferably isn't AMD64-based, though I doubt if it's possible in following price range
- goes under 120€ for working one
- is available in EU, so I don't have to pay another hundred for shipping and then mess with voltage and frequency conversion
Case type (tower / rack-mount) doesn't really matter to me
It can be power-inefficient, slow and loud. Just need something nice I can mess with in free time
Asking here as (for now) browsing local offers brought only overpriced x86_64 HP/Dell machines that lack the most basic parts
Heave 'er up, and away we'll go...

Uptorn

Re: A "toy" server I could mess with?

#2 Post by Uptorn »

Late Stars and Construction cores era Opteron server boards would meet most of those parameters. G34 socket boards run fairly cheap on boutique resellers.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Supermicro, if available.
These things do cycle out of use and the low point of price is when there are many to move. Then they creep back up as they sit collecting dust. Optical has been cycled out already, so those are dusty.

Often, about 5 years old, complete units are as cheap as they get. After a few months of selling, resellers start dissembling them since a few parts can sell for the former whole unit price.

Since value flat lines then, and slowly increases, the price difference between intel and amd is minimal. IMO the intels are a much much better.

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

A couple years ago I bought a machine on Craigslist for 80 bucks US.

Code: Select all

CPU: quad core Intel Xeon E31225 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 1598/1600/3400 MHz
Kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 x86_64 Up: 14d 1h 41m Mem: 1806.3/15700.6 MiB (11.5%)
This thing has been running my media collection for the past 4 or 5 years now. If you just want something to mess with there really is no bottom of the barrel. Even dirt cheap old machines at this point are still quite useful depending on what you plan on doing with it.
Not all servers will default with hot swap bays btw. You may need to add them yourself. It really just depends on your goals.

*EDIT* Yes I am aware that this thing sucks power. Runs me about 10-12 bucks a month. I've priced building a new machine that would use far less power. It would take 5+ years to pay for itself and then I'd end up with a 5 year old machine anyway.

Hetzer

#5 Post by Hetzer »

I've found a IBM x3250 Type 4365 for 200zł (~47€) and thinking if should I go with it. It's said to be fully working, contains both bays and has one 300GB SAS disk. But it has Broadcom NICs, unknown (I mean, can't find anything on it) RAID controller and being of my age I'm afraid how long it'll survive. Especially being LGA 775 with which I have bad experience in terms of durability (From other side it's not a joe-class hardware, so maybe it's far more durable, idk)

I'm not really into server boards as I don't have appropriate case (and finding good one for a desktop is already hard)
However there are this-era (and older) Opteron Dell/HP servers going for about 100€, so maybe it's worth to look into it
And of course there's always negotiation so price may go by ten or a bit more
CwF wrote: 2024-03-28 15:31 Supermicro, if available.
These things do cycle out of use and the low point of price is when there are many to move. Then they creep back up as they sit collecting dust. Optical has been cycled out already, so those are dusty.

Often, about 5 years old, complete units are as cheap as they get. After a few months of selling, resellers start dissembling them since a few parts can sell for the former whole unit price.

Since value flat lines then, and slowly increases, the price difference between intel and amd is minimal. IMO the intels are a much much better.
~5-year old machines are still pretty expensive I see, or at least definitely over my budget for that
And I do believe they are new enough to have that On-Demand weirdness which I want to avoid. Correct me if I'm wrong

If Intels are better, I'd doubt. Both manufacture processors of same ISA and with similar vulnerable crap encumbered within
I choose what happens to be better in price-to-efficiency and least bloated right now in the market

By the way, aside from known-everywhere ebay, craigslist etc, where do ye search for used hardware?
jmgibson1981 wrote: 2024-03-28 21:06 Not all servers will default with hot swap bays btw. You may need to add them yourself. It really just depends on your goals.
I rather meant servers that have no possibility to install such, like one from the attachment
I'm aware that most servers don't come with all of the bays. And that's not problem as these are usually for little price
Attachments
A bay-less server
A bay-less server

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by steve_v »

Personally I'd suggest skipping LGA775/771 systems, on account of being pre-QPI (i.e. still using a northbridge & common FSB) and power hungry for the performance (especially memory bandwidth, particularly for MP systems).

If it's just to play around with none of this really matters of course, but if you want to do anything useful with it I'd look for at least an early E3/E5 (LGA1155/2011) sandybridge or ivybridge based system. Faster, more efficient, better memory support, and a better chance of the onboard RAID controller being SAS II / SATA III. If you're lucky, you might even get support for >2TB disks with that. ~10 years old, so likely still cheap if you're patient.

I'll second the Supermicro recommendation as well, IME they use pretty standard chipsets, documentation and driver support is good, and if you're so inclined they also make nice (E)ATX boards that one can put in pretty much any case, alongside their more proprietary offerings.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Hetzer

#7 Post by Hetzer »

Didn't go with that IBM in the end, I think it's not worth risking about 50€ into machine that may die in near future and itself has unknown controllers anyway
No luck with Opteron-based either, people simply want way too much for over-decade hardware and there's really nothing that would fill my needs
Same with Xeons-based, though these are far more popular
Lastly tried searching just boards (as recommended here by Uptorn), there's really nothing here in EU. If something is out there, it's overpriced and usually boring. It's at least what my searching brought me so far
steve_v wrote: 2024-03-29 14:16 I'll second the Supermicro recommendation as well, IME they use pretty standard chipsets, documentation and driver support is good, and if you're so inclined they also make nice (E)ATX boards that one can put in pretty much any case, alongside their more proprietary offerings.
As it sounded sarcastic it made me do some search. Indeed it is :)
Thanks for pointing it out, I'd have nothing but problems from their hardware

Generally I've started to wonder if it's even worth gettin' one at all. Far too much concerns get in, all for a a bit more sophisticated computer thing
Maybe it's better to just get some nice NICs and 5,25" hot-swap bays and pair with random board I have instead. It won't be what I really wanted in the beginning, but at very least hardware RAID crap and other concerns won't be relevant here

Though if anyone knows about hardware that would fit my needs, I'd be happy to hear it's name