Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Installed UFW, Now cannot log in

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Augie77

[Solved] Installed UFW, Now cannot log in

#1 Post by Augie77 »

It took me longer to bork Debian than it did Mint. Embarrassingly enough, this post is from my Mint install. :oops:

I installed and enabled UFW from terminal but failed to allow SSH. I was going to use the UFW gui for that and not thinking, I rebooted the PC.
Now after logging in, I have the Emerald screen, a cursor that moves, and nothing else. I booted to the Advanced setting thinking I might be able to struggle through it, but the session fails with a line indicating that 'root' is locked out. Truly, I am thoroughly borked.

Any suggestion on how to remedy this mess-up. I do have a clone of the install, and numerous backups that can be copied over to Mint and then reapplied to Bookworm after a clone. But, I would rather try to fix this first.

Appreciate any help.
Last edited by Augie77 on 2024-04-04 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Augie77

Re: Installed UFW, Now cannot log in

#2 Post by Augie77 »

Thinking about this, root probably is locked as I did not declare a root password during install. Hindsight is 20-20, so it seems. I can do a live boot with the USB .iso, but from there I am not certain what to do.

dlu2021

#3 Post by dlu2021 »

I believe that it is possible to reset a forgotten root password even if it is disabled:

https://linuxconfig.org/recover-reset-f ... t-password

Augie77

#4 Post by Augie77 »

dlu2021 wrote: 2024-04-04 03:28 I believe that it is possible to reset a forgotten root password even if it is disabled:

https://linuxconfig.org/recover-reset-f ... t-password
Thank you, that did the trick and the instructions worked perfectly. This was my first time using Recovery Mode so I was a bit skittish, but I guess after a year and a half of Linux, some of the things I have read must have sunk in. I had installed UFW and rsyslog prior to boffing my system. Once I followed your instructions, I booted to Recovery and used apt to remove and purge UFW and rsyslog, then did a autoremove. Rebooted and was able to log in.

I appreciate the help and I am happy to be back on my Bookworm system.

Augie77

Re: [Solved] Installed UFW, Now cannot log in

#5 Post by Augie77 »

One last question. I notice that when logging in now, I get a double flash of the emerald screen, and then a double flash of the desktop screen. Which made me wonder, as a side thought, if I needed to update grub?

dlu2021

Re: [Solved] Installed UFW, Now cannot log in

#6 Post by dlu2021 »

Not sure about that one.