Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] XFCE4 Screensaver

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
NakedRider

[Solved] XFCE4 Screensaver

#1 Post by NakedRider »

Good morning. I'm brand new to Debian and using XFCE4 for my desktop. I can't help but notice there is no XFCE4 Screensaver. After some idle time my screen will turn black which is what I want and I think that's from the APM. What I would like the system to do is require a login after I return. Right now it doesn't.

How do I get that to happen. Do I need to use xscreensaver?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by NakedRider on 2024-04-06 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

NakedRider

Re: [Software] XFCE4 Screensaver

#2 Post by NakedRider »

Woops. Sorry for the post. I just found the answer in another thread.
As it turns out during the install you are asked if you want GDM orr lightdm. It gives no reason to pick one or the other. I picked GDM which turns out to be wrong for XFCE. Running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm" solved the issue. The screen blacking out was the APM but now it pays attention to the screen locking selections as well.

I rebooted just in case it mattered. Now everything works.

dlu2021

Re: [Solved] XFCE4 Screensaver

#3 Post by dlu2021 »

The task selection in the debian installer installs one display manager per DE. So if you pick gnome it will install GDM, and if you pick XFCE then it will install lightdm. It sounds like you picked both gnome and XFCE during the install process. Could that be the case? When you picked XFCE did you deselect Gnome?

NakedRider

Re: [Solved] XFCE4 Screensaver

#4 Post by NakedRider »

dlu2021 wrote: 2024-04-06 17:52 The task selection in the debian installer installs one display manager per DE. So if you pick gnome it will install GDM, and if you pick XFCE then it will install lightdm. It sounds like you picked both gnome and XFCE during the install process. Could that be the case? When you picked XFCE did you deselect Gnome?
Yes I did install both Gnome and XFCE. I have a strong preference for XFCE but I wanted to check out Gnome since I haven't seen it in years.