Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install with full system encryption and xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jdr

How to install with full system encryption and xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64?

#1 Post by jdr »

Hi,

I've been using Debian for > 10 years on my NAS / Home Server and now also want to migrate 2 Notebooks from Xubuntu and 1 Workstation from Windows 10.

The first system for migration is my faithful travel companion: A 2013 Acer C710 Ex-Chromebook. For a mobile device like that, full system encryption is an absolute must have. Unfortunately, this system has a crappy Celeron CPU which is really slow and does not support AES-NI. The cipher xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64 is by far the fastest one (~260 MB/s decryption speed vs. << 100 MB/s for all others) and I have been using it without any major issues in the now to be replaced Xubuntu.

However, I have no idea how to install Debian the same way. Target partition scheme is:
  • sda1 128 MiB VFAT EFI-SP
  • sda2 256 MiB LUKS1 aes-xts-plain64 ext4 /boot
  • sda3 64 GiB LUKS2 xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64 ext4 /
  • sda4 rest LUKS2 xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64 ext4 /data (will be created after installation, not relevant here)
There is neither xchacha12 nor adiantum support in /proc/crypto and there are no loadable modules. In the live system, xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64 is supported, but I have no idea how to use the calamares installer to use the pre-created and mapped encrypted partitions instead of creating own ones.

The only idea I have is using the normal AES the installer provides and then running cryptsetup reencrypt from a live medium. But there must be an easier way.

What can I do?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: How to install with full system encryption and xchacha12,aes-adiantum-plain64?

#2 Post by cds60601 »

The Arch wiki is a great read for using dm-crypt however, there does not seem to be an easy way of doing that. I wanted a true full disk crypting some time ago and in the end, Due to a shrinking time-table, I just opted for the normal crypting off the normal install process. I never really cared much for the Calamares install. If you happen to discover a way, I would be interested in knowing this.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious