Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Blocking vertical videos?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Uptorn

[Software] Blocking vertical videos?

#1 Post by Uptorn »

I am looking for a creative way to block vertical videos within Firefox, and maybe also MPV.

In the past, it was easy enough just to ignore the aspect ratio with the understanding that it is some other's preference. But in the last few years, I find that vertical video is now a strong indicator of low IQ content. It has gotten bad enough that I just want an automated way to interrupt the loading and/or playback of vertical oriented videos.

Has anyone done something like this before I potentially go reinventing the wheel?

Hetzer

Re: [Software] Blocking vertical videos?

#2 Post by Hetzer »

I find it pretty interesting to block videos on such basis... And doubt such solution exists. So if ya need it, I see only making it up yerself
But I believe that avoiding Big Tech platforms is more than enough, as this radioactive crap concentrates mainly there. Personally I dunno remember last time I've seen such video
Here lies Scout. He ran fast, and died a melon.

Uptorn

#3 Post by Uptorn »

Link aggregators often post such video clips using third party file hosts. The link URL will only reveal that the file extension is .mp4. Maybe I can write a script that pre loads the video silently in MPV to gather aspect ratio information and figure a way to block or allow from there.

More difficult to do would be for long form videos where the uploader has included such clips embedded in the final render. Like in-video advertisements. Maybe methods can be borrowed from SponsorBlock.

One of the problems is that this radioactive crap is seeping into other spaces instead of staying contained within the walled garden ghettos of tiktok.

Hetzer

#4 Post by Hetzer »

The first (blocking vertical videos) seems possible, the latter (blocking such inside conventional ratios) not so. At least not without sacrificing months for implementing it
If blocking only vertical videos is enough, go on. Otherwise I recommend leaving such spaces
Here lies Scout. He ran fast, and died a melon.