Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SID - Unstable] [workaround] ssh -X "cannot open display" on all four machines

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[SID - Unstable] [workaround] ssh -X "cannot open display" on all four machines

#1 Post by wizard10000 »

** crossposted from r/debian **

Have four Sid machines here and ssh -X has worked fine on all of them for years. For the last two days I haven't been able to run graphical applications over ssh from any of these machines.

As mentioned in subject line, error says "cannot open display" and if I ssh into the machine $DISPLAY is indeed blank but from a local console $DISPLAY correctly reads :0

export DISPLAY=ip.of.ssh.guest:0 doesn't work either although it does set the variable on the host machine. xhost + also gives the cannot open display error.

Since this happened on all four machines at once I'm pretty sure it's nothing I did - but I haven't been able to resolve it yet.

Anybody else seeing this? Anybody got an idea how to resolve or which package to give a bug report?

edit: ssh -vv -Y user@ip.add.re.ss just gives "X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0"
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: [SID - Unstable] ssh -X "cannot open display" on all four machines

#2 Post by fabien »

Maybe it has something to do with the last update? (not from the last two days though)
openssh (1:9.7p1-4) unstable; urgency=medium

* Rework systemd readiness notification and socket activation patches to
not link against libsystemd (the former via an upstream patch).
[...]
Wed, 03 Apr 2024 12:06:08 +0100
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by wizard10000 »

Maybe. I'm sure they'll get it figured out and I imagine someone's already filed a bug but I don't seem to be able to figure out which application gets the bug report; I've looked for bug reports in xorg, ssh and xauth, nothing in those three packages yet.
-- anais nin

trinidad

#4 Post by trinidad »

openssh (1:9.7p1-4) unstable; urgency=medium

* Rework systemd readiness notification and socket activation patches to
not link against libsystemd (the former via an upstream patch).
[...]
Wed, 03 Apr 2024 12:06:08 +0100
Sounds about right: https://sourcesmethods.com/xz-utils-bac ... iscovered/

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by wizard10000 »

I just fixed it. In /etc/ssh/sshd_config I changed

#AddressFamily any

to

AddressFamily inet

and restarted sshd. Gonna go file a bug report now :)

edit: bug report submitted. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... ug=1069236
-- anais nin

trinidad

Re: [SID - Unstable] [workaround] ssh -X "cannot open display" on all four machines

#6 Post by trinidad »

I don't think it's a bug. All your change is doing is avoiding using fallback from a failed ipv6 connection (default) and specifying ipv4 connection only. Not sure why it's happening but I suspect your machines were actually partially sucessful connecting via ipv6 but wouldn't pass x through the connection for some reason which is likely an x or systemd security change. Could be a lot of reasons.

TC

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [SID - Unstable] [workaround] ssh -X "cannot open display" on all four machines

#7 Post by wizard10000 »

IPv6 is disabled on all four machines. I think "any" still should have fallen back to IPv4. I did just add that info to the bug report.
-- anais nin

trinidad

#8 Post by trinidad »

Basically the x11 forwarding channel is not the same channel as the session channel. So yes, you could have been connected with ipv6 on the session channel and not known it, while the x11 forwarding channel could not connect ipv6 for some reason (either SSH client (not server) config settings or update changes to xorg or systemd) and because of the successful session channel connection the fallback default switch to ipv4 would not activate for x11 forwarding. Anyway I expect there will be ongoing quirks with SSH for unstable/testing users over the next year because DSA is due to be entirely deprecated for SSH in 2025.

TC