Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How I Built The Hyper^Linux Kernel With Debian Bullseye 11.9

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Linuxgaming1824

Re: How I Built The Hyper^Linux Kernel With Debian Bullseye 11.9

#21 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Ok cds60601 please stop harassing me... I'm just going to ignore you, since you don't have serious concerns.

pbear

#22 Post by pbear »

Every source I've seen (example) says what wizard10000 said. If I run a command string and get an unexpected result, I assume I made a mistake.

Linuxgaming1824

#23 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

It's not abnormal to use a semicolon, what's abnormal is teaming up to harass people on linux forums. That's abnormal.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by CwF »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-22 02:39 abnormal.
It's called moderation. A concept you don't seem to grasp.

You are not positive. You are not helpful. You certainly could be, but insist on dramatizing beyond the reasonable, which matches your lack substantiation.

pbear

#25 Post by pbear »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-22 02:39 It's not abnormal to use a semicolon
Of course not. wizard10000 expressly said, " The ampersand thing is personal preference." Meanwhile, I use semicolon a lot and && almost never, because if I care about the outcome of the prior command I run the follow-on command separately. My way works because I'm using copy-and-paste from notes, not trying to run bash scripts.

Where you went sideways was implying double-ampersand isn't reliable. That's misleading to new users and other guests reading the Forum. So, you got corrected. That's how Linux forums work. Always have, always will.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#26 Post by cds60601 »

Still going at it I see.
Sometimes there are reasons why they post, "Do not feed the animals" at zoos.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#27 Post by donald »

@Linuxgaming1824

Please slow your postings per day down a bit, right now it looks like you are spamming the forums.

These are technical forums where users come to ask questions and read guides, the assumption is the answer or guide is based on experience and not experimentation though if the latter is so that it is expressly stated. The latter can cause issues for new users.

As technical forums, other members may point out another approach or manner of doing something, its not a bother just another tool in the tool chest. Sometimes a small error can have horrid results, the explanation of the && on the command line is a troubling example of peer to peer correction that you are disregarding. My intention is to close this thread, but I can leave it open for your corrections and proof of concept, else it will be removed.

Please respect our posting guidelines and post threads in the proper areas.

There are a few errors in your thread and advice that have been pointed out to you, take the advice.

At this point you have most of the admins watching your posts and behaviour, stop attracting their attention. Take my advice.

For the record, we don't have any moderators, they are all administrators with sections they manage in addition to the overall forums. Play nice.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by wizard10000 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-22 04:02...if I care about the outcome of the prior command I run the follow-on command separately.
I'm sure you already know this stuff so this is more for our studio audience but the reason I use the double ampersand thing is that if program 1 crashes (or exits with a nonzero exit code) bash won't attempt to run program 2. If I put them on the same command line there's generally a reason for that - here's are a couple of examples:

Code: Select all

alias upgrade="sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade"
alias clearswap="sudo swapoff -a && sudo swapon -a"
In both cases if the first command fails you probably wouldn't want to run the second one.

Short version: A semicolon will run the second command after the first one completes. The double ampersand thing will run the second command after the first one completes successfully. Either will work in most cases which is why I said it was personal preference :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Linuxgaming1824

#29 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

No i said I've seen it fail to work as intended before, and maybe once, that's all...

so it failed in the context of a specific command, i cant remember anymore